Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

chain plate backing plate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meholden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chain plate backing plate
    Posted: 13 March 2013 at 10:21pm
The backing plates under the chain plates are corroding away on my boat. I'm assuming they are leaking, and saltwater has gotten in there and since they're aluminum next to stainless they are dissolving. I get a powder pile underneath and the tops are going away.

My plan is to drop the rig, remove and replace the backing plates, and re-seal the chainplate.

Some questions for the experts:

-Will the the backing plate come off without doing something special to the tie rod? I can't see how the bottom of the tie rod is attached, it disappears into the liner- is there another backing plate there that I should check?

-Any drawings of the backing plate around, or can I buy the plate? I assume I'll take the old ones to a machine shop to get new ones made but would love an easier solution.

-Am I likely to discover deck core issues when I get it apart?

-Has anyone done this job without dropping the mast? I was eyeing the stanchion bases as temporary shroud supports, but decided unless I heard "oh yeah we do that all the time" it looked too sketchy.

Thanks for any advice.

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 2:57am
This is very easy and you do not need to take your rig down.

The plate is held in by the four nuts on the underside. In the top of the plate there is a recess to the top of the hole. The S/S rod has a disk shaped head on it that sits down into that recess. (like a round head of a bolt)

Let all the tension off the rig and support the rig temporarily with halyards. Unscrew the four nuts under each plate. Drive the holding screws/bolts from the bottom up through the deck and chain plates. Then the rod can be bent a little inboard and unscrewed from its lower anchor. If you look closely at the rod, you will find two flat spots ground into it to allow you to put a wrench on it. It simply unscrews from its bottom anchor place. With the rod removed, the plate slips off the bottom. Either clean it up an put it back or replace with another Aluminum plate made out of T-6 grade. Sometimes this is referred to as the 6000 series. Basically, the 5 series is crap for signboards, etc, T-6 is structural and marine use, and 7 is higher grade structural for aircraft, etc. When done, put it all back together and seal with 5200. Easy job.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 11:54pm
Thanks for the instructions, just so happen I tackled this today. I did it because I was suspicious of how my deck looked around the chain plate on topside. It look like it has been sandwiched a little and you can see the rings left by standing water around the chain plate. After removing both port and starboard, I did not see any signs of deck rot or gel coat damage. I also drill out the holes with a 1/2 inch drill with plans of epoxy the holes.

So the question is this, both port and starboard look identical which now I suspect this was how they were made? If not is this a common problem and if so what has been the common solution?

I will wait for a response before I epoxy, my thought was to epoxy the holes and then fair the deck with epoxy. I was also considering replacing the top side and cabin side backing plates with oversize plates to help distribute the load. Thoughts?

Also when screwing the rod back in what is the best gauge for deciding how much tension should be applied?
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2013 at 3:04am
The plates are identical. I just made a pair for a friend.

In the system, the deck is only a point that locates the chainplates. It does prevent the point of anchor for the shrouds from moving in and out, but the deck does not support the rig (shrouds) at all. There is nothing wrong with overdrilling the existing holes, filling them with high density epoxy filler, and then redrilling the holes. On boats that we have worked on, we have made up thin plates of carbon fiber (not more that 2 mm thick, and placed them on the deck under the chainplate and epoxied them down. This was mostly done just to add some comfort to an area of the boat under the plates that looked a bit tired.

Regarding the tension of the rod, you may have once noticed that the area of the deck under the chainplates looked like it was trying to be pulled up. That will be because these boats are 25 plus years old and they flex and yield under the constant tension of the rig. Also, the rig being under compression, the boat hull tries to pull in......in essence it is being squeezed narrower, so the rod ends up being higher than when first set. My suggestion is that when the rod is re installed, that it be tensioned until quite snug.....as though it was trying to pull the chain plates down into the deck. Don't over-due this, but I suggest this to compensate for the tension that is going to be put on the rod when you tension the rig. This will try to pull everything up. In a perfect world, the boat shape would be stable and nothing would move........alas our old boats don't dwell in a perfect world. The hull will yield under tension. You are trying to achieve neutral tension on the deck. Nothing up and nothing down. Achieving it is a guess. However if you see upward deflection on the deck, then your rod is not tight enough. If you over tension the rod, you may see downward stress under the deck or dimpling under the chainplates on top. If this doesn't disappear when the rig is tensioned, then the rod is too tight.

No doubt Bill has done this dozens of times more than I and may be able to contribute here, but I would say that a little prestress applied when the rod is installed will be what you are looking for so that when tension is added you may achieve something close to neutral at deck level.

Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic