Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for crew references

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for crew references
    Posted: 10 March 2013 at 4:56pm
Greetings all!  I must be doing something right for the local S2 fleet has snagged a couple of my crew.  So as I seek to add I am also moving folks around to try new roles.  My ask of you is what references (especially videos!) would you recommend for a new genny trimmer, a new spinnaker trimmer?  In the pst this group was learning with me so we were all slow!  I figure some of you top notch sailors have some references to help reduce the learning curve of new crew.  Thanks!  :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 1:06pm
Bill

An excellent article on trimming from Sailing World written by Peter Isler.

http://www.sailingworld.com/sites/all/files/_attachments_articles/understanding_trim.pdf

Dick #122
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2013 at 3:09am
Nearly all the major sail makers have excellent in-depth articles on sail trim found on the web. North, UK, Quantum, etc. I ask my entire crew to read these every year. There is always something new to learn. One more thing, get someone really good on your boat. We have been sailing our Laser very competitively in a fleet of similarly rated boats and achieved a high state of competitiveness. Mostly first or second in the fleet races. Recently we put a seriously good sailor, Canadian Olympic coach, on the boat for one race and we now sail about 3-4 minutes per hour faster. You heard that right........3-4 minutes per hour. You might think we must have been really bad.......not the case. There are hot-shots out there that can teach and show you how to get more out of your boat than all the reading, talking and theorizing will get you in ten years. I have over 35 years of racing, and this guy changed everything in an hour. We now race boat to boat with yachts who rate 30 phrf points under us, and those guys are good! Equal or near raters are far astern. Find one of those guys, and get him on board. Everyone will learn a heap! These boats can really go!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic