Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gell coat crackes in the stern and bow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gell coat crackes in the stern and bow
    Posted: 20 December 2012 at 11:31pm
I have hull # 191 built in 1985. I have many gel coat cracks in the stern and starboard bow. Is this common? I have moisture in the stern that keeps evaporating out after I put primer on it. Any ideas on how to fix it. I have gotten to the point I am going to grid it down and put one layer of 6 oz cloth and epoxy resin.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 11:39pm
There are a small number of boats with cracking in the gelcoat. Effective repair procedure for cracking is grinding out the cracks and some of the underlying glass then re glassing/fairing and paint. Any other method is short term patching. So yes your on the right track. Peeling the transom with a gelcoat removal tool may be the easiest method. If you have moisture trapped there it may need some time to dry out before glassing. 
Virginia H. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2012 at 11:14pm
Which resin should I use? Polyester, epoxy or vinylester? I have all of the gelcoat off in the stern. Should I v out the cracks first or just glass over them?
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 9:20am
The cracking occurs in the layer of glass under the gelcoat. So I would remove the next layer of glass. Once you are at the kevlar (yellow material) you are safe to reglass. I would do it with epoxy since it's a secondary bond.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic