Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hull fairing around saildrive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:01pm
I re-applied my membrane last Fall using 3M weatherstrip adhesive.  I used the old membrane but was sure to remove all previous glue residue and I obviously sanded the hull as well.

All I can say so far is that the glue held up over the winter.  I checked it before I launched last weekend and that membrane is on good and tough.  We'll see how it holds up underwater.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:14pm
I've been using 3M Weather strip adhesive with good success.  Clean the surfaces as good as you can.  The cleaner the better.  I've used scrapers, sandpaper and a final wipe down with Acetone.

Dick
Dick #122
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:07am
I found this stuff on Amazon.ca and tried it and it works quite well. The only difference between this stuff and the the real glue from Bukh is that it dries much faster. So much so that it dried tack free after 10 minutes the two parts would not stick together at all. I re-activated the glue on both surfaces with Lacquer thinner and it stuck great. After 24 hrs I stuck my hand in the well and grabbed the edge of the rubber and tried to pull it off and it wouldn't budge. I did some tests also and left it submerged and water had no effect on it. 

This stuff says it's waterproof, which the original stuff from Denmark did not state. 

https://www.amazon.ca/LePage-Heavy-Contact-Cement-1504724/dp/B019GISV8Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1494936063&sr=1-1&keywords=LePage+Heavy+Duty+Contact+Cement

Charles, yes if you sand the surface you intend to glue very well on the rubber it should re-glue fine. I use 80 grit on a random orbital sander to do this.

Edited by Bill Layton - 18 May 2017 at 8:44am
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 3:30pm
Picked some up at Canadian Tire. Reviews to follow
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 9:55pm
Yikes - went expensive ? Who quoted that price to you ? Anyway two years in and its still on solid with the  1685MC,  .  Good luck with the 3m stuff, I hear some people have success with it.  I had thought of buying a can of the 1685 and doling it out to everyone who needs it  but the stuff expires . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2017 at 8:41pm
I think the emerging theme here is that there are several high quality contact cement adhesives that seem to do the trick.  LePage and 3M Weatherstrip being two of them.  Surface prep and proper application appear to be the key.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2017 at 5:34pm
Well the season is over and the boat was hauled out today. I had not expected the 10$ Lepage contact cement would last, but the rubber skin was still tightly fixed to the hull. It had been applied in cool .Beats paying 250$ for the Bostik
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2017 at 7:49pm
Ditto here.  I used 3M weatherstrip and the rubber membrane is still on solid.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 5:48pm
the Bostik 1685 still holding strong too  , I paid about 90 bucks for a liter delivered to the door  - enough to do a dozen boats but I hear it has gone way up in price .  One issue with using untried stuff is the cost of a mid season lift out to fix it , but it sounds like we have a few good options now . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2017 at 7:29pm
I replaced the sail drive bladder on Mad Max.  Here is a picture showing removing the old 3M weather stripping.  You can see it is firmly attached to the hull.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskqQ79Eq
Dick #122
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic