Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crew positions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crew positions
    Posted: 05 January 2004 at 4:46pm

I would be curious to know whether the Laser 28 is generally raced with 5 or 6 people.  I can easily find 5 jobs and the 6th would probably be dead weight most of the time.

For the boats racing with 5 : I presume the assignements would be split as follows : driver, mainsail, tactician, trimmer and foredeck with the tactician helping with the release of the genoa and during the spi set, and that the mainsail person would handle the spi guy ?  does this make any sense ?

Thanks

André

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2004 at 1:45am

Hi Andre,

From what I remember, most Montreal boats sail with 5 on the Laser28. So it proves that there are enough hands to do the job. I think that you also need to look at how far your crew is from the maximum allowed weight on the boat for major events such as CORK.

The maximum weight in the class rules is 1003 Pounds (455Kg). For most conditions, you don't want to be under 750 Pounds of total crew weight. I remember a CORK where we were about 750 Pounds total, it really hurt when the wind picked up! Remember that just 10 Knots of wind requires the whole crew to be on the rail even when you have the maximum crew weight. Being lighter means dumping power earlier.

As for the assignements, I think that you need to put your most competent people in the right spots. For example, your tactician could be your maisail guy just like Bill Layton on Maggie G.

My guess is that evebody in the class does it slightly differently. Even when you are missing one person the crew roles get affected.

Hopefuly the Montreal boats will give their view on the subject...

Cheers,

Luc Gregoire
Colibri 224

Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2004 at 10:59pm
Hi Guys,

I like to sail the boat at maximum crew weight. It doesn't hurt in light air and when the breeze is up your OK. 5 or 6 doesn't matter. But if you are sailing in an area where it's big breeze all the time 6 does make it easier with the extra hands. There is enough work for 6 but you need to divide the workload, as shown below:

Starting from the back and working fwd:

1.Driver
2.Mainsail/b-stay / traveler / spinn guy
3.Headsail/cabintop adjustments/spinn hoist (this person also releases)
4.Spinnaker Flyer / tweakers / helps headsail changes / weed lookout
5.Foredeck Person / pole / headsail changes/ pack chute / weed lookout
6.Tweakers / spinn pack / spinn hoist / Genoa hoist / weed lookout

Notes: Choose the lightest person to go below and pack the chute. Tactics nearly always happen in the back end of the boat(since driver needs to discuss and then initiate manouvers) It's really important to have all the crew pay attention to what's happening on the race course with regards to competitors/wind + direction/current/weeds so that this info is transmitted to the back and the appropriate decisions made. Its a team effort, not just the guy on the stick. Most important part is to have fun!

Regards, Bill

Maggie G
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2004 at 1:28am

I agree with Bill on the weight subject. The maximum doesn't affect performance much in light winds and helps a lot in more wind.

I also think that the tactics happen in the back end. When Jean Leduc is on the boat he does the main but I am the next person forward of him because I release the genoa and it also allows me to peek to leeward to call tactics and talk to the helmsman. When Jean is not on the boat like most of last year, I do the main and tactics so I can chat with the helmsman about performance, stategy and tactics. It's also easier to see what is going on to leeward.

The position description is very good but you can also do slight variations to accommodate the crew you have and their level of experience.

Thanks for your input Bill!

Happy New Year to all!

Cheers,

Luc Gregoire
Colibri 224

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2004 at 5:56pm

Thanks Luc and Bill for the comments.  We will need to beef up our crew to make it to the 1 000 lbs limit.  The good news is that I now have a rationale to add beer and wings to our heavy wind practice routine...

André Labelle

Still Crazy III 229

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2004 at 7:05pm
I sail a Laser 28 in PHRF New England.  The weight limit is 1260 pounds for major PHRF regattas.  I have found that sailing close to this weight limit is advantageous.  We sail with either 6 or 7 to get us up to the limit.  It gets crowded with 7 people, but the boat really goes better with the extra weight. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic