Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maxwell 22 primary winches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maxwell 22 primary winches
    Posted: 29 May 2012 at 12:36pm
It is no secret that the Maxwell do not work as well as modern day self tailors winches, however their mechanical elements work fine, are robust and require little maintenance. What ales us about the Maxwells?

1. The star pattern female socket that receives the winch is slightly bigger than other brand name winches so generic winch handles fit loosely in them, and the locking mechanism is located in the center of the star instead of at the bottom. We are accustomed to releasing the lock lever on a winch as soon as we get it started in the socket which causes the lock on a standard winch to engage when the winch is only half-way seated. This results in mauling of the winch handle's mail star and together with the loose fit it results in many lost winch handles.

Remedies: a. Remove the handle's locking mechanism so that the winch handle fits all the way down in the socket. A standard winch will work, but it is still loose in the socket. (I have made new handles with an over-sized star to fit these winches, but they unfortunately then do not fit into my Harken halyard winches. Anyway, I tried and they do work well in the Maxwells!)

b. Buy a supply of old cheap winch handles that you don't mind losing and be forgiving of your sailing guests who lose your handles overboard.   

2. The self-tailing mechanism in these winches has a much larger throat than in modern winches, mostly likely designed for 3/8" line. When the helical cleats in the throat wear slightly, they do not engage 5/16 line very well, and they don't hold the line (like a cleat) so we compensate by taking a few extra turns around the winch, or install a cleat and abandon the self tailor for holding.

Remedy: Remove the self tailing heads, and separate them (4 parts in all). Use a rotating wire brush, or similar method to "deep clean" the engaging surfaces. Prepare 1/2 ounce standard West system epoxy, or similar, and mix into it some crushed walnut shell which is easily available as a non-slip agent from most marine supply houses, or any of the suppliers of resins and fiber glassing materials. Judge the quantity yourself, but it doesn't take much. Brush this mixture onto the engaging surface of each plastic self tailer. Use care not to get any epoxy on the matching faces that must engage each other for these parts to fit together as pairs. If you do, remove it with a knife after the epoxy is set. This repair lasts a long time, though not sure how long, but certainly the self tailors treated this way will do a fine job with 5/16" lines and this can always be done again if necessary. With this minor repair, the self tailors will work as well as any of the new ones on the market.

3. The chrome plated entry (feeder) guide to the self tailor has very sharp edges on it. Occasionally a snarl in a released sheet will get caught on this and in a split second will cut the sheet, or at least cut or severely damage the jacket of the sheet.

Remedy: Remove this chrome part and dull the trailing edges of this part with a wet stone or a suitable tool on a Dremel. A fine-cut file will also work. Sand or stone smooth after grinding and re assemble.

With the above cheap fixes, these winches will go on doing their job in fine fashion. I have found nothing wrong with the internal mechanisms of these winches, so the guts will go for a long time with periodical disassemble, cleaning, lubing, etc. New winches are $700+ each, so you may find it worth trying these ways to make the Maxwells function well with today's reduced diameter lines. The handles are a problem unless you use Maxwell handles or make new custom handles, but all handles do work in these winches, particularly if they are not badly worn.

Enjoy the summer sailing!

Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 9:46am
I'm considering doing maintenance on my Maxwell's over the winter by removing them from the boat.

I have a low-resolution copy of an exploded parts diagram for the winch but that's it.  Any tips or suggestions for disassembling, servicing and reassembling?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 10:47am
Chris, There is not much to explain as they are pretty simple. If you are taking them entirely off the boat including their bases, then your job will be easier. As I live in Whistler and my boat is in West Vancouver, I work alone on my boat and never have anyone to help hold nuts below, etc, so I have not taken my Maxwells off, but could have done a more thorough cleaning job had I done so. Also, we are in sea water and you are in fresh, which also makes your job easier. Get them apart, clean up the parts in your favourite solvent, dry the parts off well so that the grease you apply will not be floating on oil, and re assemble. I would be surprised if your winches require complete removal. Leaving my bases on, I drape that portion of my boat in old towels, disassemble as much as I can and soak those parts in paint thinner, I brush paint thinner or use generous amounts of WD 40 (which is about 90% kerosene) in spray form to clean the mechanisms still mounted to the base as best I can. I then pray those clean with air pressure, grease everything and re assemble. Note my treatment a couple of writings before on my treatment to the self-tallers using epoxy and crushed walnut shell to re instate grip to the teeth on the self-tailers. That has worked really well.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 3:36pm
Frank, how is your fix with epoxy and crushed walnut shells doing? We have a boat here in Montreal experiencing some slippage due to this and wanted to follow up before anything gets done. The only primary replacement that fits the plinth is the Lewmar 30ST and it's a bugger to install.  My past experience with crushed walnut shells tells me that particle is quite large. Would you still use crushed walnut or something else say more spherical like griptex from awlgrip.... just curious. 

Edited by Bill Layton - 16 October 2014 at 3:40pm
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 9:36pm
I assume you gents know this already but... just in case I found Maxwell parts and supplies at Australian Yacht winch (Sales) Pty. Ltd.
4 Narang Place, St Marys N.S.W. 2760, Australia. Contact is Allen Hutton (winches@attglobal.net) and he shipped new upper and lower pieces via UPS. Item # D413, Jaw CW: $42.00, Item # D414 Jaw ACW:    $42.00. Hopes this helps!   :)bill

Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 9:21am
Good reminder Bill thank you!
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 9:46am
I have a pair of 14's collecting dust in the basement. If they can be of use to anyone, let me know. SJ
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 12:57pm
Bill,

Walnut shell come in different values of coarseness. That said, mine is a bit chunky, but worked and continues to work fine. It is now four+ years and I think it is nearly time to do something more.

I remember when I did it that the West 105 epoxy was a bit too thick and sort of over-built the coating, so I thinned it down perhaps 5-10% with lacquer thinner.

Regarding other non-slips, yes I think they would work. I just thought that the other non-slips are made of glass spheres, or something like that, which I thought would become dull sooner than crushed walnut which is a very hard material. It is an easy fix and mine has served very well since I did it, and my boat races every couple of weeks all year-round.

I took the grips off. They split so one can prep the face with some coarse sandpaper, then I coated them and sprinkled a small amount of walnut shell onto them, then used the brush to work it in a bit with dabbing and light strokes, etc. I don't remember if I used another thin coat on top after the first coat tacked up. One could if he thought the shells protruded too much. It doesn't take a huge amount of this stuff to make them work.

Everyone here loves the Andersen's over all other winches. They operate smoother and do not require any maintenance at all, even in the marine environment. One has to make a transfer plate out of 3/16" or 1/4" aluminum to go on top of the current winch pedestal, but they work great. Pam has them and they work so easily she dropped down to 8" winch handles from the 10" ones. I still use the Maxwells in the primary position and have mounted Andersen 28's on the coach top in anticipation of changing the way we work the boat. I can see that taking the sheets from the front jib cars directly to the coach top winches will bring the pull-point in about 1 degree as opposed to leading them back to the outside. Next, we are currently in-hauling the genoa right to the edge of the coach top for a much better shape in light air, so I wish to test sheeting directly back to the coach top and then onto those winches. It will complicate hoists at the marks, but I'm trying to work that out. I know all this is not consistent with class rules regarding winches, but then again we are only working about how to make an old boat better. I haven't ruled out replacing the Maxwells with the new Andersens in the original primary position and returning to the Harken 8's on the coachtop, or finding a deal on a couple of smaller self-tailers for the top to give us the flexibility of going either way.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 12:58pm
Bill,

What are 14's? Who made those?
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 1:57pm
The 14's are Maxwell and OEM to the L28 secondary winches..... similar to the Lewmar 7's.

I setup a L28 with Anderson's (all stainless) once and the cons were they are twice the weight of the maxwells or older Harken's or Lewmar and the rope tailer isn't adjustable and therefore doesn't work as well as other winches when using smaller line like the 8mm high modulus line for spinn sheets and they are a pain to mount on our aluminum plinths. 3 good reason for me not to go there...

I believe the Lewmar 30ST is the winch to use now if the Maxwell 22ST's become unusable. They are aluminum, have adjustable tailer/cleat and although it's not easy to mount on the plinths they require no additional welding or alum plate.

I installed them on Convictus 10 years ago and never looked at them since. I sail on Andanzas and we use the old Harken B32.2ST (no longer available) after sailing with all these different primary winches I 've found that the original Maxwell 22's have a larger drum diameter at the base and where the line wraps. In short I guess it has a little more leverage than the replacement winches have. So now I'm inclined to find a way to fix the original maxwells instead.

Thanks for the repair info. We'll try the parts guy in AU and see what they have before we decide.

Edited by Bill Layton - 17 October 2014 at 2:05pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 9:30am
I just ordered the replacement jaws for the primary Maxwells. Would love to find the proper winch handle as well - will report on delivery and installation.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 9:45am
Use the Lewmar one-touch 10.5" handles. They will lock but only 1/2 way down on the maxwell winches.  Push them in all the way and they work fine and are very easy to use.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 12:47pm
On the winches. Bill is correct that the Maxwell is lightest, but the Andersen's are not twice as heavy as the older Harken 32STA, in fact they are lighter. The Lewmar is the highest of all. Here is the weight line-up:

Harken 32 STA2               4028gr
Lewmar 30 Evo or Ocean        4200gr
Andersen 28ST                 4025gr
Maxwell 22                    2470gr

These are all good winches with the Maxwell having a significant weight advantage. If one has them, and they are in working order, it is worth taking them right off the boat, doing a total clean, servicing, lubricating, and putting back. Fixing the grip is easy. I think the biggest advantage is greater circumference creating more friction on the line requiring less winds on the drum. The leverage thing would have to be determined by examining the individual gear ratios on each of these winches. We find that the Andersen's wind easier than the Maxwells (I have both on Voila) but I have not totally removed our Maxwells to really soak them. I have only disassembled in place and serviced. Still, the Andersens work with much less effort.

The Andersen 28st has sprung jaws on the ST device, so we find they hold. Perhaps older ones did not.

I have two brand new Harken STA 32's that fit the pedestal nicely. They are brand new and never been used. If someone wants them, I would be happy to sell. I purchased them first, then decided to go with the Andersens. I have $700 in each of them and am happy to sell them for $600 each.

Lewmar, Harken, Andersen are all good. The Maxwell is light.

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 1:13pm
Regarding winch handles, the Maxwell locking groove is in the middle meant for a Maxwell handle which is not available. We remove regular locking mechanisms for racing, which when one does makes the handle spline shorter. The Maxwell spline is slightly larger than the other winches, so the handles fit very sloppy and go overboard very easily. That is why the handles with push button locks work better because the male spline extends down much further and they go deeper into the winch socket. I once made my own winch handle and spline and custom machined it to fit both the diameter and the full depth of the Maxwell spline. It was wonderful until........whoops! Splash! Gone! Machining that male spline to the perfect fit took hours, so I haven't made it's replacement.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 9:59pm
My winter project was bringing home the Maxwell 22st and striping down and cleaning. I have to replace a needle roller bearing which I will be able to get from Allen Hutton of Australia and fabricating an outer race for it.

In communicating with Allen, he mentioned he could re-machine the drive shafts to fit any locking winch handle for $30 each.

Has any one tried this? I will be shipping them this week and will let you know if it's worth it.

Another question, I will be replacing my sheets this year and I thought I would check with the group what have been you favorite lines and what length?

Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:23am
A follow up on my last post on re conditioning my winches. Allen of Hutton winches did a great job on re machining the drive shafts, now any regular locking winch handle will work with the Maxwells, basically he machined a grove at the bottom of the star to accept the locking mechanism. Also got myself a new bearing and a years supply of springs. However they no longer have races for the bearing, luckily a have bored neighbor you happens to be a machinist.

Now that I am putting it all back together, just wanted to double check on the lubrication, I greased the bearings, thrushes and races. But I am getting mixed answers when it comes to the gears & clutches, winch oil or grease? MY problem began with old grease jammed in the clutches so I would thing I want to stay away from the grease.

You thoughts?
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 11:02am
The maxwells were always grease only. You situation was probably that the winches never were completely serviced and after 30 years old grease can become to dry and sticky. If the winches had been cleaned and re-greased you would have been fine.
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2015 at 6:36pm
Hey FrFletch,

Do you still have the 32's for sale?

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic