Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing fuel filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing fuel filter
    Posted: 20 May 2012 at 4:19pm
Preparing for launch, I wanted to change my fuel filter.  I removed the old one and installed the new one seemingly without difficulty.  However two problems have arisen:

1) When I removed the old filter, a rubber gasket came off with it that was apparently seated on the threaded spindle of the fuel filter attachment point on the engine.  However when I reseated that gasket while installing the new filter, it seemed as though the filter wouldn't quite screw on all the way. It's worthy of noting that there does appear to already be some sort of gasket at the top of the threaded spindle (hard to see without neck gymnastics but I'm pretty sure).  Also of note is there's about 3/4" of threaded spindle exposed and if I add the gasket back on, it actually takes up thread space on the spindle.  Hence my questioning whether it's required or not....  I do have a picture of this gasket of that would be of help but I don't think I can post it in this forum.  Can email if required.

2) After installing the new fuel filter, I followed the instructions by unscrewing slightly the bleed screw at the top of the assembly.  I then proceeded to pump the fuel lift pump manually via the lever located about 6 inches directly below the fuel filter.  After 5 minutes of pumping this lever, no fuel appeared.  So I removed the filter again to see if it was at least filling with fuel ad it wasn't.  I tried moving the lever with the fuel filter unattached to see if fuel squirted out - nothing.  I tried reinstalling the filter and screwing the bleed valve tight to see if it was a pressure issue but that didn't help.

I have visually confirmed that I do have a full take of fuel.

So what am I doing wrong that I can't get fuel to flow through the system?

Thanks!

Edited by Winner - 20 May 2012 at 4:21pm
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 5:04pm
That lever works but your not pushing hard enough to get a full stroke. Easiest method is to grab a friend and crank the engine with the starter, its much faster. You'll probably want to bleed the high pressure side too
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 7:00pm
Thanks.  Of course you know there's another question coming.... how do I bleed the high pressure side?  I'm assuming that's AFTER the fuel filter?  Is there another bleed valve farther up the line? 
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 7:38pm
I agree with Bill that using the starter is easier-However if you prefer to use the lift pump and it does not seem to be working, turn the flywheel 180 degrees and try again-it uses a cam and if this is not opposite the lever pumping has no effect. 
High pressure bleed-undo the pipe at the injector.
 You might want to invest in a marine diesel how-to book. The shop manual is available online, but after using Japanese motorcycle manuals which are very clear, the typed gobbly gook in the Bukh manual presumes that the user has a lot of knowledge.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 8:06pm
Thanks Bal.  I'm a physiotherapist so anything mechanical-related is all self-taught!  I can fix people better than I can can motors!  If it wasn't for the great people in this forum, I'd be up the creek!

Any specific marine diesel books anyone would recommend?

Edited by Winner - 20 May 2012 at 8:19pm
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 9:12am
I'm a doctor...I use Nigel Calder's Marine Diesel Engines.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 3:10pm
Chris.....your message box is full.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 9:02am
Have been reading Nigel Calder's marine diesel engine book at Bal's recommendation and it's definitely useful!
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic