Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

water in the oil?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 4:00pm
thanks, for the clarification.
PS I ran a tap through the hole and "revived"  the threads. So the the drain plug has some more bite in the hole, however I am going to dab a little jb weld to make it a sure thing. I really don't want to re do it upside down on a pitching boat.
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 7:43pm
To retap a hole where the threads are iffy, go to an auto parts store and buy a Heli Coil kit in the right size. Drill, insert and this is a permanent repair. Epoxy is not a sure thing in a motor that vibrates and has temperature changes. That said, we often used epoxy to fill spaces in our racing (motorcycle) engines- but as a structural repair, welding or Heli Coil.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:38pm
Thanks for the tips, all are very useful.

Now the cylinder is back on and waiting for the fuel injector and head. I noticed with all six mounting bolts on the cylinder, it is not flush up against the engine, there is a 1/4 inch gap all around the cylinder. Will this tighen up when I put the head on and tighten down to specs? I am also thinking I need to back out the 4 bolts a little (which the head will mount on) so they can suck in the gap when tighened.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 11:06pm
I don't like that. There is no reason for this to be the case. Inspect to be sure that nothing is in the way externally to prevent the cylinder from finding its seat. It should just slip over the piston (you must depress the rings to get it on, and then find home at the bottom. There should be plenty of threads at the top. The notion of backing out the bolts to get enough thread to fit the head on suggests forcing the cylinder into place by torquing the nuts. I really don't like that at all. Check again to see that all is clear. Jiggle it if you can. If all is clear, try gently persuasion with a rubber mallet.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 12:14am
I should clarify, there is plenty of thread for the head. The Piston and the rings all went in smoothly. Inserting the six mounting bolts took a little leverage to line up the engine mounts. But when it was all done, the cylinder is still a 1/8 to 1/4 inch fom the motor. The piston moves through the cylinder smottly. Tomorrow I will take another look around the cylinder and mayby try a rubber mallet to pursuade it.
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 8:42pm
make sure the guide ring-part no 46 on page 32 of the parts manual is aligned.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2012 at 8:09pm

Progress Update;

The cylinder is on and the head is on and torqued, now it’s time to use feeler gauges to check for value clearance. Another 1st for me. The workshop manual calls for .20mm on the inlet (starboard) and .25mm on the exhaust (port). There is also in handwriting next to these measurements of .050 and .065 I assume these are in thousandths. But being that they are handwritten I don’t trust these numbers.  Here are the question; I have these feeler gauges with the following numbers;

mm

Ok – so which is the metric number?

The rest I am good to go on, lightly oil the gauge, no tension on the spring of the value, measure the space between the rocker arm and the value, adjust the nut.

One more nagging thought, the workshop manual states that the pushrod closest to the cylinder is the intake, the furthest one is the exhaust. I was told after that is set, then the rods will lie side by side with the intake pushrod being on the starboard (or the air filter side) and the exhaust pushrod being on the port side or the exhaust elbow side.  However when I referred to the parts diagram to see how the rest of the parts come together, I noticed that the diagram has the pushrods side by side in the opposite configuration. Please validate this so I can sleep tonight…….

Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2012 at 8:38pm
The lifters are vertically aligned..... the top push rod is the intake(starboard side) and the bottom push rod is the exhaust (port side) Page C6 workshop manual
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2012 at 9:18pm
The smaller values in all cases you reference are the inch equivalent to the metric.
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2012 at 11:32pm
.20 mm = .008 in
.25 mm = .010 in
 if the pushrods are not aligned , it won't start- think, on compression, both valves are closed.
my dockmate paid a mechanic to screw this up and it was an easy fix which got me a bottle of good wine.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2012 at 11:40pm
OK - I am all good. The pushrods are aligned, the values are adjusted and everything is back together without any extra bolts or nuts to show for it. Filled up the oil, primed the fuel and water pumps and tomorrow we will see if she fires up. Then it will be 3 -5 oil changes to get the mositure out of the crank case.

Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 8:57am
You are better using 25 thou for exhaust and 20 thou for intake. Because we (bukh and I) that the factory tolerence was too tight for an engine with a mix of alloy and cast steel parts. On some engines with the original factory tolerence the gaps over time became tighter resulting in the valve not completely closing and therefore no compression and no start. I witnessed this problem on about 5 engines. Re adjust to a looser tolerence and problem solved. Bukh never changed their literature to reflect this but later motoers were delivered with looser valve adjustments. My engine had this problem and I set it to 25+20 thou and she runs fine.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 9:31am
OK -- Just so I am clear you are reffering to thousandths not mm. which means I will use the .020 / 0,51mm for intake and  .025 / 0,64 for exhaust. This will more than double my current clearance. Is there an indication that the values are too loose? I thought id you heard a ticking sound that was a clue you were to loose.

I won't be able to do any more until Sunday so I have time to get this right.

Thanks
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2012 at 11:21am
yes that is correct. The original numbers were very very tight, barely any movement on the rocker. With these numbers there is a noticeable space. 
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 12:10am

First of all, thanks to all that have helped me through this process, you have kept me on track and minimized the anxiety of learning to be a diesel mechanic!

Everything is back together, values re-adjusted to Bill Layton’s specs, bled the fuel system and she fired right up Other than a dabble of water from the drain plug on the cylinder, all the fuel and water connections are good. Six oil changes later I now have some good looking oil. Some lessons along the way, if you are using a 5 gallon bucket in the cockpit for the water supply (I am on a trailer) then be sure to pull the water intake line out of the bucket before you go to lunch, it turns out the water will keep on siphoning and fill up the exhaust muffler and back into your exhaust port. Which case it made quite a mess when I started the motor after lunch. Also don’t overfill the oil, again another mess.

Now that I have good looking oil I wanted to run the motor for a longer period of time, at least 10-15 minutes. Not trusting my alarm system I kept an eye on the exhaust (I noticed that the water and exhaust never heated up, it was always cool water) and the water pump not having any leaks. I also monitored the cylinder to see if it became too hot to touch. Along the way I was lead to believe that you should always be able to place a hand on the cylinder with it never being too hot to touch. Well, after 5 minutes it became hot enough where I could not keep my hand on it for more than 15-20 seconds. So I shut the engine down and let it cool off.

I have since pulled all the water hoses to check for blockage, which I had none. And then I pulled the thermostat and checked it on the stove top for functionality. It opened up at 60 degrees. So those two options have been eliminated. Any other thoughts?  

Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 8:03am
Thats sounds perfectly normal. The engine needs some heat else it wouldn't be operating efficiently.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 11:49am
I think you are a STAR for having delved into your engine with the limited mechanical experience you have. Everything you did was quite intelligently done, and all of it in a very difficult space to work in. Congratulations!

The thermostat is factory set at 130f. This is quite cool in that the engine would run more efficiently if it ran hotter. However, since it uses raw water for cooling, a higher temp would encourage the development of mineral deposits within the cooling ports, so the lower temp setting is used to prevent this. However, even 130f is quite warm to the touch, and then the exhaust is a very hot product of the combustion (or diesel explosion) process and is combined on the exhaust side of the head before exit, so the temperature on the head, is going to be quite warm to the touch. From what you say, yours seems right.

Now go sailing!
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 1:39pm

again thanks for easing my concerns, just after many hours and more dollars invested into this project, I didn't want to overheat the engine in the first 15 minutes! I picked up a inferred temperature gauge this morning and I will be using to quell my fears over this summer. If I think if the engine is to warm I can point it at the cylinder and see how warm it is. Keith states it will run about 70 c.

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 2:13pm
yes. 70c is 158f, about the same as your domestic hot water temp which is a little hot to leave your hand in.
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2012 at 4:28pm
 How lucky you were that the exhaust valve was closed when the water siphoned back to the port-it could have been a rod bending experience.
 Bill's comments re valve clearance are interesting- steel valves tend to hammer into aluminum heads but I must admit those strike me as big clearances. I set my valves to the factory specs 20 hours ago-will recheck asap to see if there is any change.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic