Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the perfect laser 28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the perfect laser 28
    Posted: 01 November 2003 at 11:25am

I have just purchased a 'cruising laser 28' it differs from yours in that it has a keel draft of 3 feet, a mast 4 feet shorter and a spinnaker pole 1'6" shorter. I plan to replace all of the above.

There is no ood class over here so the question is what would you fit to make the boat fly and still not too tender. I sail in area off French coast similar to Nova Scotia.

I am thinking of a keel with bulb of about 1700lbs draft 6'3"

perhaps the the rudder off a mumm30?

similar mast to yours but maybe with ability to fly masthead spinnaker?

Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2003 at 12:18am

I'd go with a carbon fiber rig and pole, then install a mumm 30 rudder and keel. Original L28 racing keel is 1500 LBS so a 1700 Lb. Mumm 30 type keel would work great. Of course a Quantum Fusion inventory goes without saying.

Then you could call it a mumm 28...

Your boat was made by PSE (Performance Sailcraft England) Is the keel the Tandem version joined by a strap at the bottom? If it is, Bruce Farr claimed that at 8 knots TW the boat sailed the same as the performance keel and above 8 kts the tandem keel was faster. But under 8 knots was painful.

Have fun

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2003 at 6:10pm

Would a Mumm 30 rudder fit a Laser 28 rudder shaft without modification? 

Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2003 at 3:29pm
No, the shaft on both rudders is built into the spade. It's an integral part of the construction. What I was referring to was the profile of the rudder spade itself. The mumm 30 spade is hydrodynamically more efficient than the L28 spade, also much lighter being built with carbon and a carbon post. If you could make a rudder that fit the L28 with the same underwater profile as the mumm 30 you would have less drag compared to the existing L28 rudder. Being newer in design by 13 years helps too...
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2003 at 4:30pm

sorry for delay, been away a few days

warwick collins tandem keel . Bruce was correct downwind, but upwind is another story.

has anyone done a carbon rig for the boat??Has anyone got a mumm 30 that has had a big boat fall  over on it with pristine keel and rudder?

Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2003 at 1:19am

I think its less expensive to buy a Mumm 30 than to modify a L28. Used Mumm 30's can now be had for 50K US including a trailer, sails and electronics. Seems in North America that the Mumm 30 fleets are not as popular as they once were. But in Europe they are still strong. Go figure.

Chris Ross View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2007 at 12:10am
are there any pictures of this tandem keel on a laser? did it just bolt to the hull in the same place as the original keel?
Chris Ross
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic