Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stem fitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stem fitting
    Posted: 20 November 2011 at 7:51pm
I took my mast down last week and noticed that the hole on the stem for the forestay clevis pin has become elongated (see linked pic). I'm not sure how long it's been like this but it looks dangerous. Can anyone advise how I could go about getting this repaired? I was going to pull the stem fitting off but in addition to bolts there is a pin with a split ring on either end. That appears to support some kind of tie rod on the bow inside the boat. Getting it back together looked daunting.

--Andy

https://picasaweb.google.com/118341700192635420713/November202011
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 11:00pm
I'd have that re-welded and drilled. I suspect that the forestay must have been too loose for a period of time to do that. If its flared out at the sides then it must be so. I've never seen anything like this before.
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 7:15am
Thanks Bill, I'll pull it off and take it to a machine shop. Do you recall the strap/rod inside the bow that the stem is attached to? I'm wondering if this is going to be especially difficult to reattach.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 9:47am
We had 3 different types. Neither of them were complicated... in the sense that if you crawl into the bow with a flashlight and look it'll make sense on how it was done. Sorry I can't be more specific.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 8:50pm
Semi-related, my boat has been retrofitted with a Harken furler that is currently attached to the aft stem fitting on the bow.  I'd like to switch it to the forward stem fitting, thus freeing up the aft one for me to attach the sail tack to during races.  Tack of sail closer to deck, better pointing one hopes.

Just checking that this shouldn't be a problem??
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 11:03pm
The normal forestay position is the fwd hole in the bow casting. The aft hole is for the tack shackle. Sounds like someone put it the wrong position.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2012 at 9:38pm
If I'm buying a bow shackle for the forward bow casting position, how much breaking strength should it have?  It's a 3/8" diameter hole on my boat.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2012 at 10:37pm
The supplied bow shackle was a wichard # 1444

The # 1244 works too
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic