Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cushion cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cushion cleaning
    Posted: 19 November 2011 at 9:32pm
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for cleaning the cabin interior cushions?  My covers are dirty with general dirt + dog hair, plus the cushions themselves smell pretty musty.

The covers obviously are removable but have the upholstery top with a plastic backing.  Can these simply be put in the washing machine on gentle cycle without damaging the plastic?

In terms of the foam, I've been reading online and the general consensus on cleaning of cushions for couches and RV's etc is to wash them by walking on them in a bathtub, then allowing up to 2 weeks for them to dry completely.  But my cushions have a white fabric on top of them as well that I think would be damaged with this technique. 

We have two kids that we've used cloth diapers for.  When they get stained, we just put them out on the clothesline in the sun for the day and the stains/smell go away.  My plan was to do this for the foam as well as a faster alternative to the bathtub technique, however I'm open to comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris

Eclipse
Hull #240
Thunder Bay Yacht Club
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2011 at 9:37pm
I did mine on gentle cycle they came out great however the nylon came off in a few spots but no worries just sewed them back up. My foam wasn't bad at all....
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 7:44pm
I washed my covers on gentle and they came out ok. I don't have the plastic backing that you describe, they are fabric on top with nylon on bottom. Some of the nylon bottoms required some restitching. My cushions were really smelly so I used the following technique: Put the foam in a big garbage bag, spray it with a bunch of febreeze, squish it around inside the bag, then "vacuum bag" the whole thing using a shop vac. This forces most of the liquid out of the foam. They then air dried in a few days, and came out smelling much better.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2011 at 8:20pm
Good tips thanks. The backing on my covers is probably nylon as well - I didn't look all that closely.

Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2011 at 7:20am
I have found that taking the cushions home over the winter and storing them dry and warm helps and then come spring I use a Bissell steam cleaner on the cushions.  I own a "Little Green" unit and initially used their "Pet Odor and Stain Removal" formula.  The first year I think I "cleaned" the cushions 3 times over the fall/winter allowing them to sit in the sun and dry out.  Now I use Bissell's "Little Green" formula and do it once before I get ready to launch in the spring.  Another thought!  :)bill   (#155)
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic