Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Instruments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing Instruments
    Posted: 16 September 2011 at 12:30pm
Hi all:

I need to replace the old Silva instruments on my boat this winter.  Any suggestions on replacements to use (or avoid)?  Thanks,

Scott
PYC
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 12:47pm
budget? 
Bad luck with NavMan good luck with Raymarine ST60's.

if the budget is big B&G & http://www.ockam.com/ are very nice.
Scott234 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 1:28pm
Did your Raymarine transducers fit or did you need to drill bigger holes?  Anyone know if the Nexus transducers are the same size as the old Silvas?  Budget is more like the ST60 range for speed/depth/wind.  I like the wireless aspect of TackTick, any comments on these?
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 1:40pm
I had to go a lil bigger with the holes when replacing the old Raymarine but it wasn't a big deal. The tackticks are about 1k more than the rays......which ever way you go I got your back....
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 5:25pm
Navman 3100's can be repaired:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGv0zkGQNx0

WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 7:07am
Another cost effective solution is the Velocitek, I bought the SC-1 last year when my knotmeter died and I like the combo compass and speedo view. I pulled the meter out and installed a clear "plastic" box that keeps it accessible as well as out fo the way and easy to see for the cockpit crew. :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 8:35am
Thanks Bill, I've been wondering what the opinions were on the velocitek. Does the speed value go into tenths and do you find it accurate enough to determine sail adjustments with?
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 8:59am
The speed can be displayed in knots, miles/hour, kilometers/hour or meter/second is measured in tenths, updated 2x/second. There is a straight speed setting, a VMG settnig and a tactical heading that can help identify wind shifts. I have not played much with that setting for on the Ohio river we don't play the shifts as much as we play current, dodge floating sofas, ... and I have been working to get my baseline speed consistent. The unit I have allows me to have the compass setting in the upper window with the speed setting in the lower window so I am trying to become more knowledgable. I flush mounted the unit in a clear box on starboard, allows some extra light in the head and out of everyones way too!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Scott234 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 12:06pm
I think I am going to go with a 2-display set-up with both displays on starboard.  Currently, I have a foggy depth display on port and separate speed and wind displays on starboard.  The new displays will go where the old speed/wind displays were.  I'll have some small holes from the old depth display on the port side.  Any suggestions on what to fill them in with?
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 12:43pm
Kevlar LOL
Scott234 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 1:02pm
Can I scrape some off your boat then?
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 2:52pm
Velocitek and any other gps based system gives speedover ground. A paddle wheel in the water is your best bet for qauging performance. Like the tactic as a heading tool, mounted onthe mast it is in your line of sight for driving. Carefull mounting, cunningham, outhaul and reef lines need to run arround or behind it. Line running in front of the display are a constant irritation.
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Scott234 Scott234 wrote:

Can I scrape some off your boat then?

of course NOT! Big smile However Sunday is looking pretty good for a sail, low 80's and sunny. Make sure you have your spinnaker's & sheets onboard.....

unnamed View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unnamed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 4:50pm
I have been following this thread with interest. I have some B&G's I would like to pull and replace with some updated instruments. Tacktick are simple and would clean up the wiring on the inside of the cabin. Raymarines are well known. However, I raced on a boat once that had a digital wind instrument not the analog display with the picture of the boat, It was really nice to see the angle of wind and boat speed compare side by side. Has anyone seen these and know of the manufacturer?

Sea Wolf
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 6:28pm
most manufacturers have the digital option including RayMarine, I however prefer the analog for wind.....JMHO 
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 6:30pm

I think I am going to go with a 2-display set-up with both displays on starboard.  Currently, I have a foggy depth display on port and separate speed and wind displays on starboard.  The new displays will go where the old speed/wind displays were.  I'll have some small holes from the old depth display on the port side.  Any suggestions on what to fill them in with?

you could fill the hole with a tactical compass?
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 6:52pm
I use 1/8" white plexiglass/acrylic available from most hardware store and I cut a piece large enough to cover all the old holes in the deck and I use the new instruments fasteners to hold it in place. I use silicone under the perimeter of the acrylic and it looks great on the outside, doesn't leak. The interior finishing becomes the downside
Scott234 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 10:54pm
Unnamed, you should look into B&G's new "Triton" systems.  They are a "value" entry for B&G but based on NMEA 2000.
Scott234 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2011 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Jon167 Jon167 wrote:

you could fill the hole with a tactical compass?

I already have a tactical compass filling a hole.
Scott234 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 11:39am
Another related question that I have not seen answered on this forum (although asked at least once); Is there a better way to run the instrument wires from the mast into the cabin?  Currently, I have wires running on either side of the mast but they routinely get stepped on.  Any other solutions? Pictures?  Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic