Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

deck non skid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: deck non skid
    Posted: 20 July 2011 at 7:50pm
Much of the non skid was redone with gelcoat done by a "pro" hired by previous owner- it is soft and waxy so very slippery. Time to redo either in gelcoat or paint-any suggestions?

Hoodoo View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 4:10pm
Kiwigrip (kiwigrip.com). Easy to apply and very nice finish. Best of all, it really works. PM me with your email address and I'll send you pics of my boat. Done the job last year and still very, very nice.
JF
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 6:27pm
I have a gallon of white-not my first choice- which I bought for another project.
Kiwigrip is for the moment unavailable in Canada due to a lack of French labelling. I will try it in a small area. I am not sure what PM means-Post Message?
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2011 at 3:33pm
I recently did the deck of Voila using 2-part PU and a mixture of medium and course non skid particle material as provided by Dupont. I masked and rolled using disposable 3" rollers. I have the mix design I used, but experimented by removing the anchor locker door and working on that on the ground until I got the result I wanted. I used Dupont MS600 product in "Whisper White" and added about 50% of their flattening agent to reduce glare and avoid shine. I have the mix design I used somewhere and could retrieve it for you if you want to try it. The one thing that I learned in working with this was to not use a regular rolling tray because the grooves in it trap grit. It was better to use a smooth bottomed backing dish propped up a little on one end and have an assistant continually mixing it to keep the grit evenly suspended in the paint. You can use a small disposable 1 1/2" brush for cutting in. I do recommend removing all fitting and hardware from the deck. It may seem like a big job, but I don't think it is more time consuming that masking, and unless you are an expert at masking, a poor masking job will make the result look less professional than if you strip off all the hardware.

A friend of mine did his Olson 40 in Kiwi Grip at the same time I did my Laser. The Kiwi Grip is a very effective product, but traps much more dirt than the system I used. However, I must admit that the Kiwi Grip seems a bit more effective. He sails more offshore events than we do, so it was the right choice for him .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic