Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New owner here! =]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner here! =]
    Posted: 05 May 2011 at 8:06pm
Just purchased #167 and we'll be sailing out of Pultneyville Yacht Club 10nm west of Sodus Bay, previous name Develle but we will be renaming her before splash "Pandora" 

Looking for any tips and tricks, things to look for etc.........any input would be helpful.

Massive clean up underway the poor girl has suffered many years of neglect.

Thanks in advance,

Jon P. Flowerday
Fleet Captain PYC
#167 Pandora 
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 8:47am
Rename the boat safely http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

Check for loose bolts and leaks on the engine. Change the fluids, filters, hoses, and impeller. You need to bleed the fuel line after changing the filter.
Check the holding tank and head lines; they might all need replacing.
Check the wiring and the function of the lights and instruments.

These were the first things I had to address, along with a good cleaning, including under the floor, before we could think about boating.

You certainly have to check for any structural problems and spend some time below during a rain storm to check for leaks from bedded deck hardware, stanchions, etc.

Clean and shiny is a good place to start. Freshen the bottom if she needs it and tune the rig properly for maximum enjoyment. js
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 11:09am
Everything John said, especially the water - I still have a window I can't stop from "weeping"! Tuning the rig is a big deal, I saw a big change after the two Bill's coached me thru the process. Season #3 for me with my first big boat and my family still love cruising on her and the Wed night gang enjoys the speed and comfort so have fun with your new "toy"! :)bill (#155)
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 8:29pm
anyone have a tuning guide for the standing rigging, Loos specs, baselines, starting points?

All the plumbing is going to be replaced as well as the floor boards, at least there was enough of the old ones to use as templates. Has anyone tried synthetic material for the floor boards?
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 9:23pm
http://www.doylesails.com/downloads/DoyleLaser28QuickTune.pdf
I carefully tune to this assuming this mast curve is the basis for my sail cut. js
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:52am
My advice for new a new owner would be:
1.      When you have time, browse through this forum and print any information you find useful. Keep this in a safe place. You never know when this web site might disappear. (In fact, there used to be another excellent Laser 28 web site that is no longer available.)
2.     The best advice I have found for tuning the rig can be found here: http://www.laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11&PID=37#37 Once you do this a few times it’s really not hard.   
3.     When you race you need a lot of weight on the boat. In light air, I’ve never felt excess weight slowed me down. But in medium weight I’ve often felt suffered by not having enough weight on the boat. In 10-kts and above you need 6.
4.     Assuming the boat is stock, the single most important modification you can make is to change the existing traveler / mainsheet set up to Harken’s windward sheeting car. If you search the forums you’ll find plenty of advice on how to do this.
5.     If you wish, you can PM me your e-mail address and I can send you a PDF manual, PDF engine manual, and some other goodies I got off the now defunct L28 web site before it closed down.
6.     I stress the importance of number one above.
Good luck.
Chris Ross View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2011 at 8:02am
What did you have in mind for synthetic floorboards?
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 9:45am
Check your Whale bilge pump hook-ups. #109 and #169 were hooked up so pumping would fill the boat rather than empty it. Chek by putting pump hose into a bucket of water and pumping the cockpit pump handle.
dmarkc View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmarkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 11:41am
Amazingly so was mine - hull 33 (I think) in the UK.  Only discovered it when I refitted the boat after I bought her and before I launched.  You wouldn't have thought it was that difficult to get right! 
BTW I used Laminate Cabin Sole from Robbins in the UK - really pleased and very good non-slip properties but slightly less thick than the flooring it replaced and slightly less strong.  I just put in a couple of extra bearers.

See  www.robbins.co.uk/marine/cabin_cockpit.asp - might be something similar in the USA?
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 12:57pm
I wonder if the first 60-70 boats had the pump plumbing messed up because when you crawl back there, it is pretty easy to see a logical (illogical) hose runs into and out of the pump that minimize hose lengths but are backwards.
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 2:12pm
Jon167, I started a thread a couple of years ago here. For some sailing tips on your new baby (which you will greatly enjoy) find the thread "what the winners use" or "what the winner do" . I think is is on page 2 of the "Sailing" thread. Lots of really good input from many laser28 sailors on boat set up and technique. I was from a relatively small fleet and the tons of experience our laser 28 friends shared you'll find some good info.
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2011 at 11:40am
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2011 at 9:09am
Lookin clean and sharp!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic