Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanks or Foil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanks or Foil?
    Posted: 28 December 2010 at 10:51am
I just ordered new 155% and lapper and am trying to decide whether to stick with tuffluff (which needs replacing) or switch to hanks. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both. Wondering if anyone has made the switch one way or the other, and what their thoughts are.

Thanks,

Dan
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 2:02pm
Going hanks makes your other 10 jibs useless!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 2:15pm
They are already ;-) And I can add hanks to a few of the old ones for practice for less than the cost of replacing my worn out tuff luff. So old sails aside, any thoughts?
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 2:21pm
Hi Dan,

We tried hanks once and it cost us a good spinnaker, as getting dragged by the forestay with hanks on killed it pretty quick. We did chute repairs all season long and eventually switched back to a new Harken carbo-foil (much better quality then a tuff-luff) to this day we find the Harken carbo-foil (7000.9m)superior to the tuff-luff for wear/ breakage / poor handling etc. However you can purchase just the tuff-luff "extrusion only" if you want, but if you get the Harken you will be glad you did.

Edited by Bill Layton - 28 December 2010 at 2:25pm
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 5:48pm
Our PHRF grants 3-sec/mile with hanks so we went to hanks this past summer. No problems with the spin yet... We launch and retrieve from the cabin if that makes any difference.

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 8:22pm
Our boat's sails came with hanks when we got her and we raced her like that for 1 1/2 seasons, then went with a carbo foil. I have read old postings, or read in the old Laser Newsletter that hanks were preferable because they require less of the foredeck hand. However, unless one is happy with the luff looking like the outside edge of a clam shell, then one must tension the luff quite a bit and that changes the draft in the sail. I much prefer looking at a smooth luff and having the ability to choose my own tension rather than having to look at a scalloped sail when the halyard is eased.

Also, with the carbo foil, the recommendation for the feeder is that it is fixed (lashed) to the forestay. With the old Tuff Luff, the feeder floated on a line. With the fixed feeder, the foredeck guy can take the sail down pulling below the feeder and avoid having to re thread the sail through the feeder and the groove. With a foil it is more important that the sail be secured on the foredeck, but that is pretty easy to work out. I'm a clear vote for the foil.
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2011 at 11:06pm
Dan

We had the Tuff Luff and decided to try hanks for a season.  The spinnaker sheet always rode the hanks up the forestay when raising the jib.  Sail change on the race course was very painful.  Following season went with Harken, no regrets.  We don't use the prefeeder.

Dick
Dick #122
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic