Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Propeller Blade Set Screw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propeller Blade Set Screw
    Posted: 08 October 2010 at 3:10pm
A question about the Gori folding prop.

Yesterday I got lucky. One of the prop blades flew off when I shifted into reverse to leave my slip. Of course, the one-bladed prop was useless and we abandoned our planned trip. A diver was able to retrieve the blade and the stainless pin that holds it in place. That pin is locked into the prop with a small set screw. That set screw had become loose, but -- luckily -- was not lost.

I am re-assembling the prop.

My question is this: What should I use to keep that set screw from coming loose in the future? Would one of the Lock Tite products work? If so which one? Or is some other product better? Or should I use just use lots of torque when I tighten down the set screw?

Thanks in advance for any advise that any of you can provide!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 3:13pm
I have a set of the Gori instructions and Lock-Tite is recommended. Lucky you - mine fell off and I lost everything!
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:47pm
Hi Dick,

Gori actually supplies a small tube of loctite (blue) with new props for that exact purpose. There should be 2 set screws on each pin, both should be loctited.
Dick Rose View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:52pm
Thanks Bill and Andiamo!
Dick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic