Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toe rails for sale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toe rails for sale
    Posted: 30 July 2010 at 7:50am
I have original aluminum toe rails, all 3 on port and 1 on starboard, for sale. I am asking $75/rail plus shipping.

I will also be posting the alternative solution I used to replace the toe rails on #155 using white, solid, molded plastic shortly as well.

:)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:04pm
Still have these if anyone is planning on winter repairs!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2013 at 10:51am
Hi Bill,
On 11 July 2014 under forum topic "Lifeline netting", Bill Layton warned that the toe rails would not handle much load when holding a barber hauler. Unfortunately, this weekend I proved him right! We peeled the starboard rail off while it was holding the lapper out.

a) I saw that you had some rails for sale although that was some years ago.
b) I saw you mention that you were going to try another material for replacement.

I think I would prefer an OEM aluminum replacement to maintain consistency of the rail trim. Any pointers to replacement options would be very helpful. thx, john
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 6:08am
Hi John, let me go grab my notes and I will pass along what I did. I do have 4 toe rails my bride would love for me to get out of the garage however available now!   :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 9:10pm
Hi , I need a starboard forward by the spreaders or best fit. I heard they are about the same length.
thx a bunch, john
845 546 9880
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2013 at 11:19pm
All toe-rails are the same length. They are all straight until they are installed. Then they conform to whatever curve is there. 
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2013 at 6:23pm
So John, you want one metal one? PM me with particulars and let me know. And Bill, will a port one "re-bend" to fit a starboard need?
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2013 at 6:30pm
And if you want to refit your boat here is what I did. I used Barbour Plastics, Inc. POBox 2158, Brockton, MA 508583-8200, fax 508 583-4113, (www.barbourplastics.com). Page 18 of their online catalog, solid plastic model R1002 white (15.16" wide, 1+ 1/8th" high). Order 40' @ $3.50/ft ($140), had them cut into 6 equal lengths ($25 labor and $31 shipping) and made tapered ends at boat. Bill's directions on installing are "The rails are screwed in place from the bottom and are bedded in caulking. Position new rail over 1st hole at one end, drill hole thru new rail from inside boat. Use a #12 stainless self tapping hex (bolt) head wood screw. Drill appropriate sized hole in new toe rail so that the screw will thread in tightly, use a washer underneath the screw head inside boat.   Continue this until you reach the other end of the rail. One person outside will bend the rail until it lines up over the middle of the next hole and so on. Once all holes drilled, tape the deck first (to help avoid mess with sealant), then remove all screws and rail place rail on deck.   Use 3M 4200 sealant and re-assemble. Use acetone to clean up any drips and do it quick before it dries."

I have pictures but don't know how to put them in here (somebody tell me and I will add them else PM me and I will send if interested.)
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2013 at 9:53pm
Yes a used port rail will fit the starboard side.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2013 at 2:37am
If you want to haul the lapper out without tearing the tow rail off or fitting a "D" ring through your deck, try a couple wraps of 1/8" dyneema around the holding pin for the upper shrouds (forward pin) on the chain plates. You can get 2 or 3 wraps in there and suspend a block off it to either sheet to or haul out to. Adjust the length of the strop to get the jib trim you desire. Its a solid anchor and there are no sharp edges to worry about, and best of all it requires no more holes in the boat. It is also positioned nicely to sheet out too, being about halfway between the current track and the rail. Simple, cheap, and effective.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 4:56pm
Just in case anyone is searching for an original replacement I still have 4 available - PM of send me an email wjryan@ix.netcom.com is in need.
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic