Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need a prop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need a prop
    Posted: 25 June 2010 at 2:50pm
Does anyone have a spare Gori prop that they'd be willing to sell me? I have an old one with the internal rubber bushing, which is now allowing the hub to spin independently of the body. I'll pull it off and try to fix it, but I'd like to put a new one on right away so I don't miss any of our short sailing season.

thanks, Andy
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 3:22pm
While I'm asking, does anyone know the specs on the Gori used on the Bukh saildrive for the Laser 28? Size, pitch, rotation direction, shaft diameter?

thanks, Andy
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 3:39pm
http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+gor2BFSD11595

This is the correct prop for L28

cheers
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 3:41pm
I just sold a lightly used one to a buddy with the saildrive I no longer needed, and he may be willing to sell. Try John Flood (john.flood@acoa-apeca.gc.ca and tell him Mike Corbett gave you the info.
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 3:51pm
Thanks Bill. Were Laser 28's built with both DV8's and DV10's? I can't figure out which I have. There is a sticker on the front of the engine (near the companionway steps) that says DV8, and a marking on somewhere back by the cylinder that says DV10. It looks like they recommend a different prop pitch for the two engines.

Originally posted by Bill Layton Bill Layton wrote:

This is the correct prop for L28

cheers
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 5:04pm
All L28's had the 10HP version of this engine despite the stickers or literature....actually they are identical engines with small calibrations made in timing and fuel quantity to achieve 10HP. I was told that prior to 1984 the European community had additional tax on any engine above 8HP, when that was repealed, the DV8 SME became the DV10 LSME

The correct prop is indeed the 11.5dia X 9.5" prop, however some of the props supplied by bukh in the 80's were the DV8 prop of 11.5 X 8"

You can use the 11.5 X 8" but it requires more RPM to keep the same speed (this prop is a good choice for a heavier boat using a DV10)

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 4:14pm
I had a similar issue with my Gori and ordered a new prop from PYacht who said they had it in stock and that I would get it in 3-4 days. I was going on a sailing vacation, and when in 7 days it had not arrived I was forced to do something with the old prop. That was two years ago and I'm still using the old prop with no problems. What I did was to use some cold-cure epoxy, WEST 105 will work, though I used some stuff I had. I first placed the propeller hub in my oven set at about 240F. I let the hub warm up for about 45 minutes to assure heat all the way through. When it was in the oven about 20 minutes, I mixed the epoxy in a plastic cup. When I was satisfied that the hub was warm all the way through, I placed waxed paper (use two layers if working in your custom kitchen) on my kitchen cutting board and poured the epoxy slowly all around the hub. Some if it went all the way through and ripped onto the paper. I just continued to feed the epoxy until it would not take anymore and then let the entire thing set for 24 hours, which is all I had before I departed. I would have preferred to let it sit the full curing period of 72 hours and highly recommend that. Our boat is used regularly and has now done two long vacations on it with lots of outings and racing putting I guess at least a hundred hours of motoring on the prop and it continues working fine, leaving my new one still as a spare. I was very unhappy in the process of dealing with PYacht who instead of shipping from the East Coast from stock they said they had, arranged an air freight shipment from Denmark with shipping and handling costs of $535, and it took 2 1/2 weeks to arrive, by which time I was well gone. In the end this new prop owes me about $1800! When I inquired about this after my return, they never answered my question as to how this happened or what happened to the prop they said they had in stock on the East Coast. I could have flown over there and back from Vacouver for the cost of the shipping. i won't use them again. Anyway, I will keep the spare, but can suggest my method of fixing for a repair that has worked for me for 2 years now. Good Luck.
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 12:01am
Sorry to hear about your trouble with PYacht. I ended up ordering a new one from them and got it in about 3 days, direct from Denmark, $45 shipping. I think I'll try rehabbing my old prop using your method as a winter project!
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 1:24pm
am I correct in assuming it requires a Right Hand direction?

Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 1:46pm
Here is the 11.5 x 8" pitch
http://www.pyacht.com/cgi-bin/pagegen.pl?pr+gor2BFSD11580

Here is the 11.5 x  9.5" pitch

This is cheapest place to get them from. Boat came with the 11.5x8
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 2:25pm
bill do you recommend the 9.5?
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 2:39pm
For short distance and maneuvering I'd recommend the original 8"
For long distance motoring & traveling do the 9.5"

The 8" is quicker to stop and backup for example
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic