Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

salt water leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: salt water leak
    Posted: 06 May 2010 at 11:17pm
As many know, I have completely re done Voila and everything is now sealed tight. However, I'm ending up with salt water in my boat. I have checked every plumbing fitting possible and cannot identify the leak. Is it possible that the lower seal on the sail drive is failing and letting water in? The water seems to come from that area where there is a small space just between the hull floor and the transverse beam that makes up part of the engine pan beneath the companionway steps? The back of the boat stays dry, and there is no leak associated with the holding tank nor the water nor the cooling inlet or toilet inlet. No water comes through the top seal either and that is all dry. The keel is tight and there are no cracks around it where water can come in. The boat is dry sailed and this is easily inspected. So where?
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:30am
Check your seacocks Frank. I'm seeing more and more leakage around those these days
tprice View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:43am
I guarantee that the water is coming from your water pump. The bearing seals wear. Look at the weep hole while it's running and I'll bet you see water coming out.
I had the same problem and worried about leaks till I found out the water was from the engine water pump. May need a new shaft if it leaks with new seals.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:48pm
Thank you both for the input. Regarding sea cocks, possibly from the cooling water intake because that is tucked in next to the fuel tank and a slow leak would be hard to see there, but it is a place were a little water always accumulates. I don't know if it is there because it migrates there during tacks, or whether it starts there and then leaks out into the other areas, but I will look at that one carefully. Similarly the toilet intake is very close to the batteries and difficult to see the entire circumference. I doubt it would be the hull/cock joint anyway because it is so well sealed and faired underneath, but possibly the valve packing. However, this area is the last to get the water it seems to me. The water pump is viewable and I think that a leak there would show somewhere around the engine and end up in the engine well, which is always bone dry. However, it could be on the aft side of the cooling system between the engine manifold and the hydrolift, or from the hydrolift to the exhaust somewhere behind the side boards separating the engine compartment from the cockpit. That would only be visible by removing those boards while under operation. It is a possible. But where would water end up if the lower seal were compromised? Would it get in the boat, or stop at the upper seal? It seams to me that there is a gap between the hull skin and the engine well onto which the upper seal fits. Is this correct?
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 11:01pm
If the lower seal was compromised, you would have most of the water under the main cabin sole under the steps and plenty of it I would imagine. If the upper seal leaks you would see water leaking around the red ring holding down the rubber membranes (the one with 12- 13mm bolts holding it down)

Seacocks generally do not leak thru the flush thruhull but rather at the base of the valve body where it contacts the base flange... I've seen many leak there including a few of my own. The body does unscrew, so it can be inspected.... Also of interest is many boats do leak in this area when launched and after a month they stop... go figure

Other prominent areas to check are hull/deck joint areas and particularly the polyethelene lazarette bin is a known issue on most boats. Lift sling deck port is another along with the windows

Originally posted by frfletch frfletch wrote:

But where would water end up if the lower seal were compromised? Would it get in the boat, or stop at the upper seal? It seams to me that there is a gap between the hull skin and the engine well onto which the upper seal fits. Is this correct?

Edited by Bill Layton - 15 May 2010 at 11:03pm
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:21am

Thanks Bill. Not the seacocks nor tbe lifting port. This is sea water. And the other day while I may have taken two cups or so from rhe keel well, itook half a bu0ket from under that big floorboard. If it is the lower seal, what is the drill?
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 10:10am
You would have to remove the rubber hullskin on the outside of the hull and verify the joint between the well liner and the hull laminate. We bonded it with morebond and used 8 fasteners to thrubolt it, then sealed the exposed flange with 5200. I've seen one other boat with this problem and it was an earlier boat that we only used 4 fasteners on. This precipitated the additional fasteners in subsequent boats

Edited by Bill Layton - 16 May 2010 at 10:12am
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:28pm
Voila no longer has that rubber ring on the outside of the hull. It has been replaced with a fiberglass plate recessed into the hull hull instead. Anyway, it can be removed to expose the same cavity. Then what will I look for? To see if there are 4 bolts or 8? My hull is 166. Say there are 8, how can I "verify" the lower seal. When the boat is in the water, there is going to be more hydrostatic pressure coming up on the seal to induce the leak. It is unlikely that water inside that area will come back out when on the trailer. I'm just wondering what I will actually see up in that small cavity that will show me that the seal has failed or not? It does seem to me that this may be the source of the leak since the water I get does seem to come out from under the upper liner under the engine and drains very slowly onto the boat bottom under the floorboard. I have observed this before with the floorboard out and tried to sponge the water as it came from there. It comes out very slowly and I could never tell whether it originates down there, or was a residual from a leak originating somewhere else. The valves are all fine and the packing around the shafts stay bone dry.

If this bottom seal is leaking, I assume it must be replaced. Does that require pulling the engine out, or does the sail drive separate from the engine and drop out the bottom, or can the seal be changed with the engine/sail drive unit in place? Is this seal a special molded rubber and is it available, or is it a flat piece of neoprene or something that can be cut from a sheet?

One thing I could do is to fill the 1/4 gap between my outside fiberglass plate and the sail drive leg with silicone, effectively creating a third (temporary) seal and see if it still leaks. If it stops, then it would prove the lower seal was the problem. What do you think of this idea?[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Edited by Bill Layton - 16 May 2010 at 9:38pm
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 6:06pm
Its not a seal.... the pics you sent me show how the white fiberglass liner is bonded to the hull laminate. Inside is the saildrive well where the nuts and washers for those 8 screws are. That holds it together mechanically but the bond is actual morebond.... a fibrous fiberglass putty. The edge of this is where it would likely leak from.(the actual part that is cut out of the hull for the leg to go thru) You would have to inspect this surface closely and dremel out anything questionable and then fill it with some good quality epoxy putty mix.... then you could seal that whole surface by painting it with epoxy resin. Look at it again and you'll see how its put together.
tprice View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 8:36pm
Be sure that you've eliminated all other leak possibilities before assuming it's a leak in the motor gaskets! It is a well designed and double secure system and a leak there is unlikely.
My water pump leak would allow water in that moved to under the main cabin floorboards, etc when sailing.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 1:34am
While it was in the water for our Wednesday evening race, I looked at all cooling water fittings, valve inlet, etc. Some of the hoses leading to the hydrolift don't look great, but none of them show any signs of leaking. The entire upper area of the molding that makes up the engine supports and goes under the engine, etc, is entirely dry with no sign of any moisture ever having been on it. All the cooling water hoses and fittings are above that molding, so if they leaked, there would be water under the motor on that molding which is entirely sealed. It has no drainage outlet that I can see and never has. But there is water underneath that molding. My boat no longer has the rubber hull skin surrounding the sail drive leg, and the fiberglass plates that I made for it are all faired into the hull. It is all removable, but would require re fairing after removal and replacement, so my first move will be to silicon the gap between the sail drive and my plates that cover the hole. If that keeps water out, then I will know that the leak is indeed in that lower seal. If it still leaks, I will have to keep digging. However, I am familiar with every fitting on the boat having taken it completely apart last summer and nothing is really that inaccessible, so a leak should be visible. I also highly doubt it comes from the hull/deck joint since I treated that when I replaced rub rail.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic