Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinnaker cockpit launch question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinnaker cockpit launch question
    Posted: 20 April 2010 at 7:46am
For those of you folks who launch from the cockpit can you show/describe how/where you put the bag without blocking the access to belowdecks? It seems that if the bag is in the hatch area then you could not stand on the top step and going below would be difficult. In advance thanks!! :)bill
dmarkc View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmarkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2010 at 9:14am
We have continuous lines from the companionway to the mast position (I have fixed mine to existing bolts in the coachroof from the kicker cleats near the mast - picture available if needed).  The bags (one for each spinnaker) are made with 4 clips allowing them to be pushed away and under the garage when not needed.  Works a treat!

We use a rail bag for the first hoist - at the start of the race, the empty companionway bag is clipped on and the likely favoured spinnaker is packed in the rail bag and placed in the companionway bag - very easy for anybody to grab without going down below.  The second choice spinnaker is packed and ready in its companionway bag hanging from the continuous lines forward of the first bag.  If you decide to change sail choice, the first one can be removed (dropped to the floor) and the second one dragged back into the hoist position.

Just remember that when hoisting from the companionway bag, you need to sneak the guy big time (can be a problem in strong winds) and probably assist the bulk of the sail out of the bag during the halyard hoist.  Enjoy!

Mark Carey
Poole
Zorra - GBR 2028L
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2010 at 7:43am
A picture would help me, I just can not visualize how this works alas. Perhaps you can help me with another question as well since you mention multiple spinnakers. When I bought the boat it came with two, one the traditional "triangular" spinnaker and the second more lightweight however the look is more "oval", not as wide but longer if that makes sense. Forgive my ignorance however I do not understand the reason for the difference in cut and when would I use it? Thank you for the visual aids and explanations! :)bill
dmarkc View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmarkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2010 at 9:14am
And I thought I was quite good at explaining things ;-)

Try http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/y_ZJ9ISo_Cv23w2gUBavDA?feat=directlink

I hope the link works!  Let me know if it doesn't.

I can't quite work out your descriptions of spinnakers.  I have a LW running spinnaker which is fuller cut ie broader at the shoulders and a heavier reaching kite which is flatter.  Does that sound like your two?

WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2010 at 4:48pm
Link worked, the spin bag slides on the two lines back and forth, correct?

I do not know what an LW spinnaker is or a reaching spinnaker. One I have is very traditional in its look, even sides looking like a triangle. The other one is made of lighter material and the cut is narrower and longer (top to bottom) then the first one, it seems to be not as "broad" (left to right) as the first one and I really don't know what its advantages/disafvantages are or when to use it instead of the first one. It was made by North but when I looked on their web site I could not find an image that looked like it, I may be searching in the wrong places of course!   THank you again for your help! :)bill
dmarkc View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmarkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2010 at 4:58pm
Correct about the lines!

If North made them, they will have a record of their manufacture and should be able to advise you.  At least that is what I expect of my sailmaker  ;-)
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 10:59am
we launch right uot of the companionway often. Pit throws it out, halyard goes up quick and the pole comes back a little. No repacking upwind, no unhooking/rehooking (snake f*&k) of sheets and halyard. We can do a poleless jibe set if needed but often it is just hoist then jibe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic