Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things to look for!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things to look for!
    Posted: 03 February 2010 at 9:48am
Im looking at a Laser 28 to buy and I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what to look for and what to be careful about before buying? Do you weigh the boats? Do they put on much weight? Any particuar parts that always need checking?
Thanks for the help.
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 9:37am
I would suggest you read everything on this web site site at least twice. To the best of my knowledge most if not all of the issues associated with the boat are discussed in some detail on these pages. Note there are currently 277 topics in the Forum. Read them all, along with the Class Rules, and then ask questions if you don't understand something or have a question that was not previously asked. This is the only way to really understand these boats. There is no quick and easy answer to your request.

Hope this helps,

Bill
lucgmix View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucgmix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 9:50am
You can contact Bill Layton in Montreal, he's a member of this forum. He knows the boat inside out.

Good luck and hope to see you in the races

Cheers,
Luc Gregoire

Colibri 224

Tactician
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 10:18pm
I agree with the advice you have had.   Things I would look at are:
1. Are the structural members still well bonded to the hull. Mostly this refers to the structural webbing, internal beams, etc. On several of the hulls these broke lose and required bonding/glassing to the hull.
2. Most hulls upgraded hardware in specific areas that are near essential. This would include replacing the old Schaefer main sheet track and car, and upgrading the winches to Harkens.
3. If the boat still has the Buhk Diesel with sail drive, check for corrosion of the sail drive and try to get comfortable with the condition of the engine. These are big ticket items, particularly since Buhk doesn't build these anymore.
4. Personally I would also care as to what previous owners have put on the hull in terms of paint. I would prefer to start with a hull with nothing on it beyond its gelcoat, but if there is something on it, I would want it to be a two-part materials and not some form of one-pot polyurethane. Also check to see that the bottom is in good shape, without blisters, and passes the "tapping" test with no delam problems.

5. The Laser hull was very well constructed and other than the structural members separating from the hull, I have heard of few real problems with them. One would do his best to inspect that there were no soft spots in the coach top, as some of the hulls reported problems around the mast step and in the area of the fore sail tracks. This is pretty typical of any boat of this age.
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 10:46am
Chec the Whale bilge pump hook-up. Both WarBird 0169 and Rapscallion 107(?) were plumbed to pump the water in, not out. Looked very much the original install, Who ever goes back there? Banana Wind 0233 has a correct intallation.

WarBird new e-mail warbirdsail@charter.net
athurart09 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athurart09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 5:09am
Originally posted by frfletch frfletch wrote:

I agree with the advice you have had.   Things I would look at are:
1. Are the structural members still well bonded to the hull. Mostly this refers to the structural webbing, internal beams, etc. On several of the hulls these broke lose and required bonding/glassing to the hull.
2. Most hulls upgraded hardware in specific areas that are near essential. This would include replacing the old Schaefer main sheet track and car, and upgrading the winches to Harkens.
3. If the boat still has the Buhk Diesel with sail drive, check for corrosion of the sail drive and try to get comfortable with the condition of the engine. These are big ticket items, particularly since Buhk doesn't build these anymore.
4. Personally I would also care as to what previous owners have put on the hull in terms of paint. I would prefer to start with a hull with nothing on it beyond its gelcoat, but if there is something on it, I would want it to be a two-part materials and not some form of one-pot polyurethane. Also check to see that the bottom is in good shape, without blisters, and passes the "tapping" test with no delam problems.

5. The Laser hull was very well constructed and other than the structural members separating from the hull, I have heard of few real problems with them. One would do his best to inspect that there were no soft spots in the coach top, as some of the hulls reported problems around the mast step and in the area of the fore sail tracks. This is pretty typical of any boat of this age.
I agree with you!

Edited by athurart09 - 01 September 2010 at 5:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic