Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

removing saildrive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: removing saildrive
    Posted: 23 December 2009 at 1:17pm
I'm trying to remove my saildrive to rebuild it over the winter. Something caused my zinc to corrode away completely over one season and the casing was damaged by corrosion. Maybe a grounding problem, I haven't figured that out yet.

I removed the four mounting bolts and also the two smaller bolts from underneath. The drive unit is free to wiggle around. I followed directions from khardy's post and was able to lift the engine up off the mounts, but it's not separating completely. It seems to be still connected somehow to the saildrive. When I lift the engine the rubber membrane (still bolted to the hull) is lifting and preventing the engine from moving further. Does anybody know what I'm missing?
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 3:08pm
You need to remove those 12 bolts holding down the red ring over the rubber membrane.

Once this is free the engine can be lifted high enough so that the flywheel can touch the underside of the cockpit.(This is the stage where we normally undo the saildrive bolts).

Just remove the 4 big bolts.... Now disconnect saildrive linkage where solid rod attaches to the triangular braket on the starboard side, near where shift cable attaches. S/D and engine should seperate easily now

Now lower the engine some and slide engine out forwards (rubber mounts may need to be removed), now you are free to pull out saildrive from inside the boat (prop needs to be removed 1st)

Note: if prop has been repaired then it may be possible this is the fault you are experiencing with extensive corrosion. The inner core is supposed to be isolated from the main body by rubber, Gori still does it the same way.... if its been relined with some conductive material then a new prop would be in order

hope this helps

Have fun

Edited by Bill Layton - 23 December 2009 at 3:09pm
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 11:44pm
Thanks Bill, your description was helpful. The problem that the "intermediate piece" (top ring of the saildrive above the membrane) was stuck to the bottom of the engine. Making sure everything was disconnected and whacking it with a rubber mallet freed it up.

You may be right that the prop lost its electrical isolation from the rest of the saildrive. The rubber lining looks to be intact but it's possible that the prop body was making contact with the screws that hold the zinc. If the zinc was inadvertently protecting the prop that would explain why it corroded away so fast.

I really, really want to make sure that this doesn't happen again, so I'm open to suggestions on other things to look for. I bought the boat out of the great lakes and put it in saltwater for the first time last year. I suppose it's possible that something was set up wrong for a long time but was never a problem in fresh water.

The internals of the saildrive, except for the outermost prop shaft bearing are ok. The bottom part of the housing has a dime-sized hole in it from corrosion. If I can't get it repaired (welded?) it's going to be expensive to replace.

--Andy
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 10:33am
I doubt you could get it welded. How about this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#epoxies/=54mmhe.   Option B or D?

Not sure how long your season is but in Florida I can’t go much more than 4-months without replacing the zinc.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 11:30am
khardy's suggestion I believe is your best solution. I've seen many legs repaired nicely with epoxy... The key after all repairs are done is to recoat leg with 4-5 coats of interlux interprotect 2000 (my fav barrier coat)and be sure to check zinc frequently. There may be a bad ground at the dock?
tprice View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 11:44am
I'm sure an epoxy repair can be done. Key the surfaces so that the epoxy patch is locked in (grind taper on inner and outer surface with a dremel) As in all repairs, prep is everything. Use the Gougeon acid etch aluminum prep system. I've had good luck with wet sanding the aluminum with epoxy as the wet. Messy but effective as the corrosion that begins the instant air contacts the surface doesn't happen. The slurry of alum/ epoxy is a great way to keep the surface blocked from air until the thickened epoxy is added. (works great with lead keels too!)
Back one side of the hole up with duct tape and mix a batch of epoxy, Cabosil and aluminum powder (all available from Gougeon). Make it thick enough that you can shake the mixing stick and it won't fall off. Fill and sand smooth after cure.
By the way, those who seem to have zincs that last and last, may want to make sure the 2 screws that hold the zinc have good electrical contact (run a tap in the hole). Some mistakenly put grease or RTV to make sure the screw comes out easily but those screws are the vital electrical contact! Of course, make sure the zinc isn't painted!
Tom
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 12:00pm
Thanks guys, I'll try an epoxy repair. I wasn't aware of those McMaster products but they look perfectly suited to this.

I was thinking more about Bill's suggestion that the isolation between the inner core and outer body of the prop may have failed. I measured the resistivity between the outer body and the inner spline and got 1.3 kohm. I don't know what's "normal". If any of you have the inclination to test yours, it could be done with the prop mounted, measured between the outer body and the propshaft. I emailed AB Marine, the North American Gori distributor, and got this info:

"You do not say how old your propeller is. The Gori saildrive hub also has a
security cam system, which increases the longevity & ensures manoeuvability
at all times - a "get home factor" even if you strike something & the
bushing fails. Possibly this is touching due to breakdown of the bushing.
The hub can be revulcanised. It need to go back to the factory. Cost
$496.00 + freight."
tprice View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 12:06pm
Anyone need a Laser 28 Gori prop missing a blade? The hub is good and I'm sure a blade can be ordered cheaper than a whole prop!
Tom (tprice@usna.edu )
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 9:24pm
Boat mooring areas have in recent years become bombarded with electrically charged water. Dock and 110/120V shore power and all sort of systems and equipment running discharge current into the water in most marinas, some worse than others. In other words, the problem may not be with your boat, but could be a leakage fault in a nearby boat, or just a combination of small leakages in big numbers from the multiple boats around you.

When in the water, I dangle a 1 kilo zinc over the side grounded to the exhaust manifold on the engine. I suspend it to a depth to get it as close to the s/d unit as possible. If you do this and it works correctly, you should notice deterioration to the portable anode and much less deterioration to the fixed anode. If I rely only on the fixed anode, it will require changing every few months. If the marina in which you keep your boat has conditions anything near what we have at the West Vancouver Yacht Club, and if you did not inspect or change that anode for a year, I believe you would definitely have a problem. It is a very small anode and part of its volume is made up of a ss backing plate, so the actual volume of zinc on it is tiny. I suggest you augment it in any case with a big chunk over the side.
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2010 at 12:16pm
For the record, the Gori rep tells me that the resistivity between the inner and outer prop body is supposed to be at least 1 kOhm.
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 11:07pm
I repaired the saildrive with G-flex from West System. Looks good but I haven't tested it yet. When reinstalling the saildrive, do I want to use any sealant on the upper and lower membranes? I think when I disassembled it there was something that looked like 3M 4200 on the sealing surface of the outer ring (where membrane contacts the hull), but nothing on the inner ring (where the membrane contacts the saildrive).

Thanks, Andy
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 11:30pm
Originally when assembled the 1st time and recommended by Bukh. We used a soapy water solution..... liquid detergent soap mixed with water, 20%soap, 80% water. We lathered it up between the the rubber membranes and where the membrane touchs the fibreglass bed. Nothing needed under the red ring. If you see sealant its because its been removed and re-installed since it was built. Just be sure all mating surfaces are clean and the soap and water will work fine.

Edited by Bill Layton - 01 May 2010 at 11:32pm
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 3:45pm
Thanks to all of you for your advice in repairing my corroded saildrive. I have the boat back in the water and it seems to be working ok. However, I'm hearing a whining sound when cruising at high engine speed. It's only there when at more than 3/4 throttle. This sound wasn't there last year so I suspect it's something to do with my repair. In addition to fixing the saildrive casing I replaced the front shaft bearing/seal. The gears all looked fine. Any ideas as to what might be causing the whine?

thanks, Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic