Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toe rails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toe rails
    Posted: 20 October 2009 at 7:49am
Greetings everyone. I almost ready to begin replacing the 2 "smooshed" toerails adn wanted to see if anyone had additional experience/guidance on this process.

Key areas are getting behind the sink on port and the head/storage cabinet on starboard. BIll Layton shared with me that "It's necessary to remove the wood section we called them the "pigeon holes cabinet".... screws at the bottom and sides, possibly a few rivets. Then that whole wood assembly lifts out of the way and it'll then give you complete access to the toe-rail nuts." Any other tips?

And here is the information I have for new toerails. I have settled on white plastice rails used on J22, 24, and 80's. They can be cut to length (6'3" in case you wanted to know) and are 1/25" at the base tpaering to .75" at top and are 1.25" high and I was quoted $65 per section which includes the end caps for each section. The contact is:
Michael Trindade, Customer Service, Waterline Systems, LLC, P: 401-682-1661 F: 401-682-1620 or mike@waterlinesystems.com

I look forward to hearing from others adn will post the process I use in the near future along with pics.   Thanks! :)bill ryan (#155)

Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 9:34pm
Did you replace your toe rails yet? When I refinished Voila this Autumn, I removed the port and starboard rear toe rails completely as they served no purpose on the boat and were uncomfortable for crew hiking out. I believe all the toe rails are the same length, so if you did that, you could replace the smooshed one with a good one, and then leave the rear bare.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 7:25am
Not yet alas, ran out of time and have just started to take the old ones off. Can you share with me/us how you got the stern, starboard off? Did you find any extra lessons learned besides the directions Bill gave to get behind the "vanity" in the head?   :)bill
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 12:12pm
I also removed the vanity in the head. That was not a problem, and then you have easy access to the 1/4 x 20 lock nuts that secure the rail.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic