Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Beam of Destiny" at ring frame?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Beam of Destiny" at ring frame?
    Posted: 30 September 2009 at 1:55pm
Has anyone (besides me) added a transverse beam at V berth height, across the Ring Frame? I made a plywood and stick patttern to get the complicated angle for the 6x3" pads on the end of the 2"x1" extruded Al. cross beam. Took it to a welder and he reproduced it closely.
I installed the beam forward of the mast compression post, and neatly potted the beams flanges against the ring frame with Bondo. A few self tapping screws held the beam in place.
The finished transverse beam looked great and looks like it could have been original. It helped a lot with maintaining rig tension and once it was in, I could now open that middle section of V berth bulkhead under sail!
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 1:35pm
Hi Tom,

Yes most of us in Montreal have done this modification. Its been in our rules for quite some time.

Rule 19. Additional Furnishings

b) A support brace may be fitted to the the V-berth bulkheads. This support brace shall be installed no higher than the highest horizontal edge of the existing bulkheads. No modifications to the hull or liner are permitted. Attachment of brace shall be with stainless or brass fasteners. Fasteners shall be attached only to the brace, V-berth bulkheads and mast support tube.

Cheers Bill
redfox View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 2:17pm
Hi!

Would anybody please so kind to provide a photo of this modification?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers
Klaus, Kiel, Germany
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2009 at 4:54pm
Redfox,

I thought all L28's made in Britain had a full V-Berth bulkhead with a large hole in it for access? In North America our boat had 2 seperate v-berth bulkheads which is why we allowed a beam to bridge them together and reduce hull flexing

Cheers Bill
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 12:19pm
Some pics of the support brace. The fastener in front of the Compression post( white aluminum vertical deck support post) is tapped into that alum post

khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2010 at 9:16am
Bill,

I’m going to add the bulkhead brace to my boat. Tprice (first post this topic) seems to be saying that he tied the post to the hull stiffener frame with bondo and a few “self tapping screws.” Yet as I understand them, the class rules preclude screwing the brace directly to the hull stiffener frame. Am I missing something? I would obviously like to tie the brace directly into the hull stiffener frame; is there a way to do this without running afoul of the rules? Or is my only option to crew the brace into the bulkhead only?

FIY even if I tie the brace into the hull stiffener I will also screw it to the bulkhead and the mast compression post.

Thanks,

Ken
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 10:18am
I'm replacing the starboard v berth bulkhead this winter.  I would like to add the support brace and tie the beam into the compression post.  I'm considering the height of the beam.  Was there structural consideration to the height you guys placed the cross brace at?  I was considering placing mine lower than I have seen in photos, so that it could double as the cushion rest.  Also would not create a shin cracker while climbing in and out of the v berth.  However, function is my priority over form, so do you guys think that locating the beam lower will provide just as much strength/stiffness to the bulkhead?  

My intention is to use wood and tie into compression post and plywood similar to Bill's photo....just lower.

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2015 at 10:23am
Ultimately the higher the better.. but the position you suggest has been done many times and appears to work well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic