Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cabin top track

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cabin top track
    Posted: 28 September 2009 at 11:24am
Hi,
A crack has appeared in my cabin top in the corner near where the track for the lapper is mounted. The crack is about the same length as the track. Water is seeping in from the crack so the track must need rebedding since that is the only place I can think of that moisture could be coming from.
You think a layer of glass will provide enough strength to repair this issue? Should I move the track a few inches so that it is mounted on the cabin side instead of the cabin top?
thanks in advance, john
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 12:52pm
Given the short length of the foot on the lapper, any change you make in track position will significantly affect the preferred angle to the gib clew. I would not mess with that. It seems strange that a real crack would form there, but if so it may be owing to the ingress of water in which case you will have to do a repair anyway. Regards glassing, those barrel nuts, if original, and their respective screws are all under tension, so the only place that glass would do any good to improve the local structure would be on the bottom. A piece of glass tape on the top may be useful in preventing water coming in. If you think the situation is not too bad, why not try to dry it all up a bit (perhaps drill some holes in the top) then when dry fill the holes with high density epoxy filler and put one layer of 6oz. tape on top and fair it in. On the bottom, one could add more glass, or make up an aluminum plate to span all the screws. That will mean longer screws if the barrel nuts are to be reused through the plate, or longer screws in any case in order to reach an acorn nut. One could also use bigger washers under the nuts. The flange on those barrel nuts is not very big for spreading the loads. They do make larger diameter washers in 1/4" that could be used.
tprice View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:01am
Fabricate a large interior backing plate to spread the load.
Remove track and barrel bolts. Cover area along cabin top and side with duct tape. Wax - 4 coats.
Lay up about 3/16 - 1/4" of glass and epoxy (or polyester) on a sheet of wax paper. Lay up should be about 4" longer than track and maybe 5" wide. Place wet laminate overhead on duct tape in track area (interior). Cover with peel ply (or wax paper strips).Have assistant cover laminate with duct tape strips longitudinally along cabin top and cabin side, stretched tight and adhered to cabin to hold laminate in place as it cures. Press into corner. IF you had to, you could use a stick to prop a tape covered cardboard, folded into the angle between cabin side and top to hold laminate to shape.
When cured, peel laminate off and band saw backing plate to shape, clean up edges and paint.
Install track with new, longer barrel bolts that are longer by the added thickness. (Jamestown Distributors).
Dry out crack, fill with epoxy, re bed track and bolt all together.
On my Laser 28, I found that the best athwartships location for the jib lead was outboard of the cabin top track. The deck track was too far outboard though. I ran an inhauler through the cabin top track lead, led aft to a 3:1 purchase and cleat on aft cabin top on each side. Sheet was led trough "floating block" on inhauler line, to outboard track on deck. Inhauler line was trimmed so lead was about over the windows. In puffs it could be played outboard to open the slot. This arrangement changed the load on the deck track to a shear loading and it seemed to take it fine.
TP
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:21am
Obviously there is some damage to the glass under the gel-coat which needs to be repaired. Removing track, grinding out damaged gel-coat and glass to the foam core, letting foam dry out and then re-glassing and re-gelcoat will bring it back to the way it was originally without any added thickness. There will be no need for backup plates or longer bolts if done correctly. You don't need to use kevlar for this repair, even though you will be grinding some away during preperation. Just treat this as a standard fibreglass repair.
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 10:55am
Doing an over head lay-up I have found a neat trick. Get medium or low density foam from a fabric/craft store. It is sold as cushion or pillow foam. 2" or 3" works fine. Cut a section that will overlap your lay-up by 1-2" all arround. Glue foam to a piece of plywood 1/4 to 3/8"" of approximately the same size. Cover the foam with wax paper or Saran wrap (plastic wrap). When you have wetted out your repair area and laid in you cloth glass, carbon, kevlar, basalt or whatever and wetted the cloth completely, press the covered foam against the repair. Clamps or struts wedged into position against the plywood backing plate hold the foam against your repair area giving a very even moderate pressure. Test fit your struts ahead of time. I used this process at my forward hatch opening when I replaced the wood between the skins there so I used C-clamps gently snugged. The platic wrap never stuck to the repair and left a nice smooth finish.

WarBird
tprice View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 1:35pm
Is there a wood block instead of foam in the jib track area in the cabin overhead? Or were barrel bolts sufficient to take the compresive load of the bolts?
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 1:40pm
Tom your absolutely correct. There is a small piece of plywood in there. Maximum 2" wide for the length of the track. If this is wet it's probably easier to replace it. Re-glassing the area will still overlap onto the foam core though. So the whole area will need to be dry

Cheers Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic