Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

replacement rudder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replacement rudder
    Posted: 13 September 2009 at 6:00pm
We've just finished the first season racing our Laser 28 and while love the boat, we're not too psyched about the rudder. Our boat has the short rudder and we've been losing it, mostly going upwind in heavy air. I understand that a lot of this is our fault, not enough weight, not dumping the main quickly enough, etc. The other Laser 28 in my area has the longer rudder and this has never been an issue.

Can any of you who have replaced your rudder comment on who designed/built it and how you like the results? Are there any stock "long" rudders still kicking around anywhere that I might be able to buy?

thanks, Andy
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 9:33pm
Long rudders you have been hearing about were built by the factory and designed by Bruce Farr. They were optional equipment. Both had same drag coefficient according to the Farr office. Longer rudder was only 4.5" longer than the standard rudder. Longer rudder seems to hang in there a little longer in big seas but I've never witnessed a performance difference.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 9:29am
Bill, how would I know which rudder I have? What is the length of the long or short rudder?

Cayuga, in my opinion if you are "loosing it" upwind a longer rudder may help you keep control longer but you'll still be dog slow. To win, you simply can't sail the boat with that much weather helm.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 10:39am
Standard rudder is 43 5/8" from bottom of trailing edge to top of trailing edge :)
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2009 at 11:32pm
We have raced the past year and a half if winds averaging between 20-25 with the standard rudder and never had a problem. It is a given that this boat needs weight on the rail at all times. If the boat is kept upright where it sails best, the rudder is no problem. I think weight on the rail and proper sail selection, sail adjustments, and an active main sail trimmer are more the answer than a longer rudder.

I've not seen the longer rudder, but I got a sketch of it with drawings I received from Farr, and I would not use it owing to the increased wetted surface. It looks to be effectively the same rudder, extended at the bottom and at the trailing edge. Too bad the alternate was not much less wide and higher in it's aspect ratio, but it was designed a long time ago.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 10:36am
Greetings all.  I recently had a run in with a log and the log won and my rudder trailing edge is  scraping the hull, post seems to have been bent.  Bill kindly shared the fastcomposites.ca link with me and a group in FL was recommended www.newrudders.com but they don't have a mold.  They asked for dimensions and shaft diameter and Bill shared that there are no drawings or specs but I wondered if anyone else might have them.

And if you know of any used rudders available I would love to know that too!   Thanks everyone - bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 12:57pm
With a deep set of callipers you can plot the offsets of the rudder and then use them to make a pattern. Trace the current rudder and then make a few patters with balsa wood and sandwich them between blocks of a high density foam, say 7lbs/ft3. Then use a hot wire and bow hooked to a 12V battery and let the wire ride on the balsa ribs and cut out the new rudder shape.

Alternatively, do a surgery on y our existing blade. On one side only, cut down from the top along the stainless steel post using a sabre saw with a short blade and cut alongside the SS post. When you get to a fin, cut around that until you have cut all around the ss part staying very close to them. Dig out the foam on top of the SS bits, and then use a diamond wire saw to cut under the SS bits. This t type of saw is usually available in army supply outlets or MEC. It is simply a little cable with diamonds on it and a ring on each end to put your fingers through.

With the SS bits removed, the rest is simple. Lay in the new post and finds with Epoxy and filler using micro ballon on the last layer and fair up the cutout portion. The original foam is extremely high density, but you can replace it with either the same or an epoxy filler.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2017 at 1:02pm
The rudder has no fiberglass in it... it's made of high density urethane foam only. The same as a small laser rudder or centreboard
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2017 at 7:55pm
Wasn't there a guy parting out a Laser just a year or two ago , I wonder if the rudder is around still ? 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic