Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maxwell Primary Winches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maxwell Primary Winches
    Posted: 04 May 2003 at 9:05pm

Hi,

I was cleaning one of my Maxwell Primary winches and thought I had done a good job, but when I put everything back together the winch did not operate any better.  I noticed that the main drive shaft seemed to be a little sticky.  

How do you get the main drive shaft out of the winch casting?  Can anyone provide some advice?

I tried to pull the shaft out of the bottom of the casting, but it wouldn't budge.  I looked at the original Maxwell manual and it says to remove the primary drive shaft and the bearings inside, but it doesn't show how. 

Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 10:06am

Hi Dave,

Unscrew the top cap, then remove the drum. At this stage the mainshaft (the part where the winch handle fits into) should slide straight up and out. The biggest problems with the 22st's is the mainshaft bearing races. The round stainless steel sleeves that the bearings slide into. These always seem to move out of place and the bearings cause the race to curl at the bttom edge. This in turn forces the bearing against the shaft and the result is that it can get quite stiff. Hope this helps,

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2003 at 9:49pm

Thanks for the advice, Bill,

I got the mainshaft out, but it took some persuasion.  I was running out of daylight, so I didn't get to completely clean and grease the bearings.  It was very difficult to get the mainshaft back in (I gave up and will try when I have more time and daylight).  The bearings fit over the mainshaft without any difficulty outside the casing, but when I put the bearings in the casing the shaft doesn't exactly slide in very easily. 

Hopefully after a  thorough cleaning and new grease it will slide in a little easier.  The good thing is that all the parts look like they are in good shape. 

Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2003 at 11:15am
The reason is because the bearings slide into the distorted bearing races and cause the ID of the bearings to become smaller. This is why is was hard to remove the mainshaft and hard to reassemble, while the bearings themselves fit on the shaft easily. You need to remove the pedestal (3 screws, they will need to be loctited when re-installed) Then you'll see how the shaft and bearing assemblies fit and you'll notice that the races are distorted. Some owners have been able to straighted them out. Goodluck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic