Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bukh saildrive leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bukh saildrive leak
    Posted: 27 April 2003 at 10:53pm

I have noticeable oil leaking from my sail drive unit after changing the oil 7 days ago. The slow leakage is through the seam where I assume a gasket lies horizontally at the height of the the propellor shaft. There are 6 bolts that hold this casting on the bottom of the unit and I am hesitant to remove these as I may make things worse. This is my first year with the boat and I would like to know if this is normal or should I have a mechanic open it up.

Thanks, Doug

Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2003 at 11:08pm

Does that mean your boat is out of the water and you can now see oil leaking out of the seam?

Surely if this is case, by the time you put it in the water you'll have a bigger problem - water leaking into the foot and mixing with the oil.

So far it sounds like you'll be opening up the foot to reseal the joint. That's not hard at all really, you'll spend more time building uo the 6mm of epoxy on the foot after.

Bill can no doubt give more info to you, but perhaps a little detail on what you've observed so far would help too.

Cheers,

Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2003 at 1:41pm
It's strange that the seam would develop a leak after only an oil change. I'm assuming it was fine before this. Was there water mixed with the oil when you drained it? There is no gasket on the seam and there can't be because of the bearing tolerances. There should not be any oil leaking from the saildrive. We could go back and forth over this for days on this discussion page..... Why don't you give me a call.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2003 at 1:23am

Thanks for the help on the phone Bill!!!

There was some water in the unit when I drained it last week. About 1/4 cup of water squirted out followed by the dirty oil. The fresh oil  that I put in started to seep out though the casing seam.

I will attempt Bill's recommendation of first draining it again and then filling/cleaning with kerosene.  Hopefully the bolts just need a little tightening. If it leaks the kerosene, then I will need to remove the prop, anode and lower casing. Disassemble very carefully, clean and reassemble after applying aviation shellack to the casing interface...

Paul: What do you mean by "building up the 6mm of epoxy" ?

Thanks for the encouragement and wish me luck!

Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2003 at 7:53pm
Quote: Originally posted by Doug Farrand on 01 May 2003

What do you mean by "building up the 6mm of epoxy" ?

Doug my good man, what I meant by that was if in the event you had to seperate the lower half you likely be looking at building up an epoxy bottom coating on the the saildrive.

Cheers,

Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic