Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stanchion base / deck repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFG104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stanchion base / deck repair
    Posted: 15 March 2009 at 10:44am
Hi,
I need suggestions/comments on ways to repair soft deck area aound stanchion base.

Are these areas originally reinforced with marine plywood or foam cored?

Thanks, JFG
Thanks
Brad Cairns View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Cairns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2009 at 7:10pm

When I restored my laser (#208) I had to peel the decks due to delamination of the top skin and the foam core. I found small triangular plywood reinforcments for the stanchions. The original stanchion bases were triangular,too weak  and too small. Any force would bend the plates, delaminate the deck in these areas and break the seal allowing water into the plywood. My plywood was dry so I left it in place and filled the holes with epoxy/cabosil, I then installed heavy four hole bases overdrilling the holes and filling with epoxy first then useing 1/4 inch thick aluminum backing plates inside. You will have to split the backing plates into two two hole ones to allow for the change in deck thickness at the edge. If your plywood reinforcements are wet you will have to cut the deck and repace them. A good time to think about renewing the non-skid at the same time.

good luck, Brad

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic