Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

main sails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry McClintoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: main sails
    Posted: 16 November 2008 at 10:35pm
I need a new main sail and would like some ideas on who makes the best one.  I only race PHRF and we generally have less than 15 knots of wind and smooth seas. We get a few days every season of 30+ with 2-3 meter seas.  My last one was a composit one but I am thinking about going back to Dacron.   Ddo people still get the second reef point?  My last main didn't and I never realy missed it much. 
mcclintock
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2009 at 9:45am
Gerry--
We are new to the fleet, but bought a new main from Denise Bienvenue this summer (Quantum) - we were pleased with it. I know Denise is now part of the "Evolution" sailmaking group and probably has an idea as to how she is going to design the mains. I understand the construction quality is pretty high there too.

I met a Doyle sailmaker in Magog, I just can't recall his name now, I'm sure you can pick it off the web somewhere to compare and contrast.

Clearly the Montreal fleet is pretty much all using Denise's sails.

Hope this helps. Dacron is the way to go, haven't ever put in a reef yet...let it flog! (just kidding). Our sail does have 2 sets of reef points.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic