Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What the winners use??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jez rees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 3:35am
Hi Seawolf, My opinion would be to set the forestay length at 9.932m pin to pin as you've done. Set the shrouds as you've done and look at the rake and pre-bend.
Obviously you're setting it for medium conditions. The backstay adjustment will depend on how your backstay is built so you can't really go on that. We need really to put more pull into ours but I'm too frightened of the 1986 mast and will flog the main when overpowered.
Have a look at this image for the amount of "banana" we use:
http://farroutlaser28.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/mast-rake.html
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 8:15am
There is a bit of black-art to mast bend as well. I took my crew thru a tuning session on Saturday. I use the Doyle quick tune guide to set the rig to a base setting
http://www.doylesails.com/downloads/DoyleLaser28QuickTune.pdf

Then we went sailing with the lapper. Adjusted the jib (cars and sheet tension) till the shape on the leading edge of the jib looked similar top to bottom and telltales breaking roughly together. Leech trimmed inside the end of the spreaders, etc. Then we trimmed the main to the centerline, no backstay, with mainsheet tensioned till the top streamer just starts to flutter.
Then stand on the bow and look back at the slot between the jib leech and main belly outline. They should compliment each other. You can fool with the sail controls a bit to see the slot shapes changing.
In my case, the top 1/4 of the main had a little bag to it and the leech of the jib was quite straight in that area. Pulling on the backstay made it worse; so I concluded that the mast had a little too much prebend and tightened the lowers 3/4s on each side.

So my point is that there is a lot of good advise on rig tension but every sail is a little different in how it trims due to age, stretch, cut. js
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2013 at 8:31am
Oh yes, we have rake. You can find our boat on the dock by just looking for the "banana" rig. This weekend I will back off the forestay another 1 1/2 inch to achieve the magical number 32 feet, 6 3/8 inch. But I am still concerned the back stay cascade will only have about 16" of adjustments. I just had the cascade replaced with amsteel, so I could send the cascade back to the shop to have one of it's line shortened. Also still looking for an answer on how much slack in my head stay. I have adjusted so that it's "snug" right now, but after reading these post I see that I need to back it off a little and it will give the head sail more power.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic