Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy Air sailing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Air sailing
    Posted: 19 October 2008 at 2:27pm

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to set up the sails for heavy air and big waves. I went out today in 25 to 30 knots of wind and 4 to 7 foot waves... A single reef in the main without a jib worked, but I was wondering if a double reefed main and a storm jib would have been better if I were racing.....

I have also heard of folks racing with just a jib in heavy air...
Chris Ross
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2008 at 1:26am
Chris,

Heavy air and big waves are fun. In 25-30 we would have been using a #3 and one reef. With waves we would have trimmed the #3 to be slightly full for power. The main trimmed to suit the conditions and always adjusting. Most important would be to sail the boat a bit free in those conditions. We point up the waves and sail down and off the back going to windward, constantly adjusting the traveler. I think most light fractionals would use the same ideas in those conditions.

Frank
Frank Fletcher
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 1:11pm

Hello Chris,

Even with 1,000 lbs on the rail you will not be able to hold the boat down in a true 25 to 30 knot wind with one reef and a No. 3.  Aerodynamic forces go up with the square of the velocity. You will need a No. 4 or Storm Jib, whatever you want to call it, and at 30 knots of wind you will need a second reef even if you drop the traveler. If you haven’t already read the piece entitled "PHRF Racing" on this web site  (Sailing "ALL") you should. Sailing fast in chop or large waves requires technique on the part of the helmsman.  In addition, use your barberhauler to pull the clew of your jib outboard two or three inches going to weather if you have a cabin top foreward track.  You should do this with your No. 2 or No. 3.  You should be able to do 6.1 or 6.2 knots to weather using this technique in small waves (1 to 2 foot waves).  You won't point as high, but you will be much faster with a better VMG. 

Bill

WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2008 at 7:50pm

Chris,

Why n are you sailing in 25-30 without calling me????  Did you spill your beer??  Do gimbaled drink holder cause a cocktail to slosh to much to make the sailing any fun?

WarBird

Chris Ross View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2008 at 8:37pm
Quote: Originally posted by WarBird on 25 October 2008

Chris,

Why n are you sailing in 25-30 without calling me????  Did you spill your beer??  Do gimbaled drink holder cause a cocktail to slosh to much to make the sailing any fun?

WarBird

Today there were gusts up to 35mph! And practically flat water! Double reef and the storm jib was a bit much. I just sheeted the jib to the number 1 jib track with it set all the way forward. God I wish I had an autopilot, I really wanted to fly a chute, but I was single handed. I was moving with a jib and a double reefed main!
Chris Ross
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2008 at 11:02am

You guys should have been in Des Moines yesterday (Sunday, 10/26).  The NWS reported winds of 43 mph with gusts to 56 mph at 10:54 AM.  I am very happy my boat was tied down on the trailer with the mast down.  Who knows what would have happened to my foil if I had left the mast up.

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic