Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rig tuning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rig tuning
    Posted: 16 June 2008 at 2:58am
This weekend I tuned my rig according to notes prepared by the sailmakers at Hood (I think it was probably from Bill Layton's loft at the time, and was puzzled to find that when I reached 35 loos on the uppers with the forestay at 32' 6 1/2" that the turnbuckles on the uppers were nearly down to max. Shocking. The rig looked like a banana! Is this right? The boat seemed to go upwind okay. The is little to no feel on the helm, but an ex -owner of the yacht said that the light helm was normal for the boat. Can someone confirm if I am on the right track?

Thanks,
Frank
Frank Fletcher
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 8:35am

forestay length looks good.  I think 35 loose on the uppers is too tight.  We aim for 32.  What are your lowers set at?  If the uppers are to tight and the lowers are too loose then you will have excessive mast bend.  We sail with the lowers between 28 and 30. 

Recomend you read this post:  http://www.laser28.org/chat/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=3&TopicID=11&PagePosition=4

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic