Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking Rig tuning guide & tech specs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking Rig tuning guide & tech specs
    Posted: 31 May 2008 at 2:43pm

Greetings all.  Hull 155 has arrived in Louisville, KY and I am hoping to get her in the water in the next week.  I have the initial tuning guide found on page 16 of the owners manual (thanks Ken Hardy!) and sek guidance on whether there is anything with some more detail.

I am also looking for the specs for items such as halyards (length, width, etc.) and other parts/pieces as the manual does not include that type of info within.  Thanks again for all your assistance!   :)bill

Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 12:58am

Bill,

I have seen  headstay length suggested 30' 6 1/2 inch.  Go 2" longer.  Keep weight out of the boat except crew, gear bags and more beer than you can drink during a race is wasted lbs.  (KEEP RUM IN THE APPOINTED SLOT)  There is a local boat that does very (VERY )well floating the jib tell tales upwind.  Get the tell-tales flying well, then lose 2/10ths pinching!!!  Jib halyard is headstay length x2 plus your run to the clutches.  Order them long and trim of what you don't need (or save for flipping halyards in a couple of years).  Halyards under 5/16" don't hold in the clutches.  If you race phrf and are looking at getting a main, consider telling your sail maker 9.5-10% draft not the customary 12%.  This boat goes over powered early and a flat main with good shape is an ace in the hole.  Compensate for the flat main in lighter air with a touch less pre bend in the stick, loose 150-200 on the loos on the uppers and keep the lowers where they were.  E-mail me direct at warbird@bytehead.com on anything I can help with.

khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 6:17pm
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 11:01pm
Amend my earlier.  Headstay 32 feet and change,not 30.  I just found some of my old notes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic