Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sailing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailing
    Posted: 15 September 2007 at 1:32pm
I just bought my Laser 28 last July, and I have a few questions.

The upper shrouds are run through different holes in the spreader. Is there a reason for this?

I plan to race the boat on San Francisco bay next summer, and I will be buying a new #3 jib. Any recommendations on size, cut, or sail loft to use would be appreciated.

My main sail is very full, so I have substantially loosened my lower shrouds to get more mast bend. With a lot of back stay tension, I can flatten the sail. When sailing at about fifteen degrees of heal, the mast stays in column. Is there any problems with loose lower shrouds?

Thanks Ed
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 12:02pm

“The upper shrouds are run through different holes in the spreader. Is there a reason for this?”

Not sure what you mean by this.  Do you mean the port side upper is run through a different hole than the starboard side upper?  If so I can think of no logical reason other than the previous owner trying to correct a permanent set in the mast.  I can also imagine this inadvertently being done during rigging and nobody noticed or didn’t notice until the rig was up and didn’t go through the trouble to change it back.

“I plan to race the boat on San Francisco bay next summer, and I will be buying a new #3 jib. Any recommendations on size, cut, or sail loft to use would be appreciated.”

No experience in your area; however, all of the big lofts make good sails.  I would look for a loft with a local branch which provides superior customer service. 

“My main sail is very full, so I have substantially loosened my lower shrouds to get more mast bend. With a lot of back stay tension, I can flatten the sail. When sailing at about fifteen degrees of heal, the mast stays in column. Is there any problems with loose lower shrouds?”

For the same reason I sailed mine with the lowers loose until I could spring for a new main.  Remember though that the backstay also adds head-stay tension.  On the other hand, loose lowers would tend to reduce head stay tension when the back stay is off. 

I’ve had mine for three years and it took the better part of two to get up to speed.  To a new owner I would recommend the following:

1. Don’t point until you have good speed.  The boat has a small keel and won’t point like other boats if you are not moving through the water fast enough. 
  2. Sail with more crew than you think you should.  We sail where the winds are rarely over 15-kts and usually around 10-kts.  We sail with 6-8 on board.  Even in the light stuff I’ve never felt having too much weight on board hurt us, but I have often wished i had more weight.
  3. Install harken’s windward sheeting traveler car.  Search this forum for suggestions on the conversion.
  4. Re-rig the cunningham, vang, and tweekers so they don’t lead to the pit.  Having everything led to the pit is too much work for one person.

Good luck,

Ken

Ed Matt View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 1:50pm
Thanks Ken for the info.

Yes, my port shroud is run through different hole than my starboard. Should the upper shrouds be run through the fore or aft holes?

Thanks Ed
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2007 at 2:01pm

Glad to help.  Laser 28s take getting used to; they don’t quite sail like other boats.

I don’t think there’s a “correct” hole to use; it is a tuning preference.  Using the back holes would be equivalent to raking spreaders aft and would add bend to the mast.  Using the forward holes would have the opposite effect.

ken

fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 5:21pm

Chip Buck from pointsails.com made a new mylar #3 for me this Spring. His loft is in SanDiego. He had cut several sails for my previous boat which was a Merit25 and I've been please with all his sails. If you want a picture, let me know. I sail PHRF and I don't think this sail would be legal in OD racing. john

the freak flag is flying
meholden View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meholden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2007 at 8:32pm

I just bought a laser 28 in SF bay too.  It's still hauled out, it's been sitting a while.  I can't help with your questions but wanted to say hi.  I will try to pm you with the email of Stinkeye's owner, he bought new sails pretty recently and has been helpful with my questions.

-Mike

Ed Matt View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2007 at 10:34pm
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic