Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

spinnaker dimensions (again)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spinnaker dimensions (again)
    Posted: 13 June 2007 at 8:55pm

I've read the posts on spinnakers but they did not quite answer my questions. My spinnaker length is 34.5 feet and my shoulder width is 20.  I listed the square footage as 670sqft which I'm not sure is correct based on previous postings. I'm taking a 6 second phrf penalty for have a 208% spinnaker. The spin looks to be all purpose weight.

Do you have any comments on above stats? When I order a replacement, what should I get? thx, john

the freak flag is flying
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 2:54pm

Class rules for One Design spinnaker are:

Max Luff  33 ft

Max Girth 19.6 ft.

-By length do you mean luff or centre line? Shoulder is probably your max girth.

Seems like your kite is a little oversize for the OD rating.  If you want to order a replacement L28 OD spinn, I believe the Quantum Toronto loft has one in stock.  I just got a new one last month from them. Nice sail.

fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 4:56pm

Hi , thanks,

My spinnaker length is 34.5ft measured down the centerline and the max girth is 20. I have not checked the luff.

I appreciate your pointer to a OD spinn. I race PHRF so I'm curious what size/weight the PHRF racers are using too. john

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 5:21pm

I race PHRF almost exclusively. Our rating for Lake Ontario is 129 based upon one design configuration.

Sounds like your spinnaker is probably one design size that has stretched a bit with use? 

Where do you sail? Are they basing the Laser 28 rating on One Design data from other boats or just trying to calculate a number? Some PHRF regions consider the standard L28 spinnaker pole to be oversized and penalize for its length (greater than J). Doesn't make sense to me as they are part of the boat's design and performance history.

fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2007 at 10:48pm

Hey, Same PHRF rating for me. I get a -6 penalty off of a base 135 phrf for using that  (stretched) OD spinn. We race on the Hudson River, NY.

Our regional handicapper has a Laser28 so I asked what size is zero penalty. I'm guessing its that handkerchief I sold after I bought the boat ;-)

My pole is 11 plus the ends. Sounds like I've got the right size symetrical spinn. Maybe I should be thinking of an Asym first.

Thanks much for your info and comments. john

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic