Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

saildrive anodes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: saildrive anodes
    Posted: 16 April 2007 at 8:27pm
Just wondering about the zinc anode. Seems like many of the Laser 28s are in fresh water. I heard that Magnesium is the better choice vs Zinc for fresh water. Anyone have thoughts on this issue. I simply want to make the boat last as long as possible, so if magnesium is the way to go and there is an option, I would do it.

Best,
Scott
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2007 at 9:43pm

Hello Scott,

I am not an expert in this field, but if you look at a Galvanic Table ( color=#810081http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/corrosion/galvanic.htm) you will see that Magnesium is a better anode than Zinc, but just slightly better. I am not sure where one would purchase a Magnesium anode, but if you were to try to machine one it is important to understand Magnesium will burn if it gets too hot. Once on fire is very difficult, if not impossible, to extinguish as it burns much hotter than a normal fire. I would not recommend trying to machine one unless you are experienced in machining Magnesium.

The real key to avoiding Galvanic related problems is to make sure the scale which accumulates on the surface of the anode during normal use is removed (filed off) so that the base metal (Zinc) is showing. This will permit the Galvanic process to continue to function properly through the Zinc.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic