Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinnaker Pole Downhaul

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinnaker Pole Downhaul
    Posted: 26 September 2002 at 8:17pm

My pole downhaul is rigged from the pole through a small bock attached to the front of the base of the mast.  The angle from the pole to the block seems inefficient. 

Has anyone attached a block further forward on the foredeck, so the angle from the pole down to the deck is more straight up and down? 

With my current araingment the pole will sky with just a slight easing of the downhaul. 

Maybe I should just rig some twings to prevent the pole from skying?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2002 at 1:49am
Twings are the way to go. With the twing even half on, your pole downhaul will be well controlled.  Having it at the base of the mast means that you will rarely have to adjust it as you trim the pole.
Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2002 at 7:51pm

Ditto on Doug's answer.

Cheers,

Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Greig View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2002 at 7:26pm
Twings are a must.  I have also put a padeye forward of the forward hatch.  Attached are two blocks.  I've then run a continuous line from a starboard cockpit cam cleat, through a deadeye and a turning block, through one of the blocks that is attached to the padeye, up to a block that is clipped onto the downhaul bridle, back through the other block, portside turning block, deadeye and cam cleat.  I hope this makes sense.  I think this system is quite common and I believe it is available to view on the Harken website.  It is excellent.  Next I'll put a track on the mast and also have access to the topping lift both from the mast and the cockpit.  I don't imagine that the class will allow this but for PHRF racing, it is legal.  I is also just a way of updating your boat.
Greig (Number Cruncher)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2002 at 8:12pm

Greig's arrangement might add a lot of clutter on your foredeck which I imagine will not help the foredeck crew.  I might also foresee problems with jib and sheets with this arrangement.  
We do have our downhaul run back to the cockpit via the port deck organiser.   The only time we have had a problem with the pole skying is when someone forgets to clamp the downhaul properly after a gybe.  With a dual control system described by Greig that might occur more frequently too.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic