Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

laser 28 molds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: laser 28 molds
    Posted: 10 January 2007 at 8:55am
are the laser 28 hull molds still in canada?
Chris Ross
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 3:04pm
was wondering this myself?

Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 4:13pm
My understanding is that they were destroyed long ago. 
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 4:50pm
Cry
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 6:24pm
I doubt you could build one for anything like what you can buy one for today. I just got one for a friend and an unbelievably inexpensive price. There were zero upgrades ever done, so it needs everything. On the other hand, and get this......the head, sink, stove, and ice box had never been used. Then engine runs like new and I did have to do some work on the sail drive, but it works fine. The sails are all original, 1984. We raced it last weekend in Squamish and I could not tell that it was any slower than my own boat judging by relative boat speed against the competitors. At the price we purchased it for one can certainly afford a lot of upgrading.

On the other hand, someone in Pendicton started with the idea of doing a modern sort-up Laser 28 which has been created as the Andrews 28. I have been on board her and she indeed is like a modern Laser except that she is all foam and glass including all the interior elements......no wood. Very clean, full head room, and carbon spars. The sail away price was $128,000! I think this mission was a love that went bad and guess that the molds must be for sale. I heard that only a handful of these were built. The one here in Vancouver I think was hull #3. She rates fast, but I have not seen her out much and she certainly has been no threat to our Laser. It is, however, a better form of a Laser as it was designed to be.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 10:34pm
Good for your new Laser... too bad for the Andrews. I have been watching that Andrews project and it had good intentions but ,,,,
My boat is not shiny but we work on her every week and keep the sails fit and she runnnnssss.....
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 10:46pm
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=404493512144&set=a.448049837144.211411.516062144&type=1&theater
Paint would just add weight , right?
Chris Ross View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 7:21am

I have been watching the andrews 28 with great interest as well. But for 100,000 you can get an all carbon fiber columbia 32. I think that is what ultimately killed the andrews 28.

I thought I saw a PHRF of 90 for the Andrews 28... but that doesn't mean she is faster than the laser. Asyms get penalized.

If I had a barn to keep them in I would consider buying the molds for the andrews 28. A solid glass version of the boat wouldn't be that much heavier, and would be much cheaper to make. The Figaro I and II are solid glass, The first class 8 and first 7.5 are fast and solid glass. All you would really have to figure out is how to set up the rigging so it would go up and down quickly... My dream is to drysail my next boat.
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 9:48am
A Bayliner with a200hpoutboard launches real fast!
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 2:52pm
In the end, I enjoy working on boats and therefore am happy with a Laser 28 at about 15% of the cost of one of these new sport boats, of which it is highly unlikely there will ever be a sufficient number to make up a class in my area. As Gary Mull once said: "Sailing is about the most expensive way in the world to travel 6mph." From my prospective, why make it any more expensive than necessary. A Laser will do about 98% of what some of these newer offerings do and in many cases they do more. The Columbia is a pure sport boat. We cruise the Laser 3 weeks at a time happily. We beat the local Andrews 28 boat-for-boat in a recent race. Having paid $128,000 I note it is on the market for $99,000 after about a year of ownership. Who in this market will pay that?

One still must be in the right part of the ocean at the right time gong in the right direction and much time can be made in doing so.

For me......I'm having lots of fun with the Laser for now!
Chris Ross View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2011 at 11:40pm
You are right... given what is out there, the Laser is by far the best bang for the buck racer/cruiser.. hands down..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic