Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

keel foil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: keel foil
    Posted: 03 January 2007 at 5:21pm
compukeel had a kit listed for the laser 28 keel. Has anyone faired their laser 28 keel using the compukeel molds?
Chris Ross
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2007 at 10:15am

Hi Chris, Do you have any more information on keel fairing? I made templates for my previous 24 foot keel boat using a program that generates plotpoints for a given NACA foil number. I've been interested in doing the same for the laser but I'm not sure what the design spec was for the keel and rudder. Anybody got any info on what the shape is supposed to be? thx, john

the freak flag is flying
Chris Ross View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2007 at 5:43pm
what program are you using? I thought I found the naca numbers on a website... I'll see if i can find that site again.
Chris Ross
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2007 at 8:17pm
If you have the NACA airfoil number, I can give you the dimensional profile to make your own templets.  You do not need a program if you can do a simple xy plot on a piece of cardboard.  It is not difficult.  Among other things I am an Aeronautical Engineer.
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2007 at 2:02pm
http://www.compukeel.com/uniboats.htm

there seems to be a couple of naca foil numbers mentioned in their universal template pdf. I think the laser 28 pattern is the universal foil pattern.
Chris Ross
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2007 at 4:00pm

Right, like Bill said, its not that hard. Someone sent me a spreadsheet where you plug in the airfoil number and the chord length and increment and you get a (y) offset per (x) increment of the chord. Tape some graph paper on a sheet of foam core, graph 20 plot points and viola, cut out the template. Of course need multiple templates....

Do we all agree that the keel was designed to be faired to an airfoil number? And the rudder as well? thx, john

p.s. I'll send you the spreadsheet if you're interested...

the freak flag is flying
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2007 at 9:42pm
sounds good on the spreadsheet. I was going to get a cross section foil shape from my keel by using a wire (in 4 or 5 places) and then compare that shape to some of the naca shapes. I was simply going to choose the closeest one for a template.

I emailed the owner of RAGS, a laser 28 with a faired keel. He said the keel matched the compukeel template closely and the only thing that needed to be corrected was a flat spot he found with a straight edge. I 'm going to check my keel tomorrow.
Chris Ross
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 2:36pm
I wonder if RAGS would send you a paper tracing? I can't find anything yet that specifies whether a NACA shape was used for the keel/rudder and if so, which one. Class rules specify that a measured Laser 28 is supposed to be 'the same' as the others. No specs on what that is though. john 
the freak flag is flying
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 2:57pm
I sent RAGS an email about the templates. There was a PDF on the compukeel link with the "universal foil shapes" These shapes are the the foils RAGS used I believe. But, you are right, I don't know what the foil shape is supposed to be. The best bet would be to call bill layton.
Chris Ross
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2007 at 4:44pm
i looked at 4 laser 28 keels, 3 of them were asymmetrical and one of them was faired. My boat was in the former group. judging by how the other 3 differed, it will be difficult to estimate what the shape was supposed to be.

I guess it's time to start playing with naca sections in xfoil. I have played with Open foam to crudely test sail shapes, maybe I'll play with that too. I'm guessing a lamanar flow foil shape would be ok at the base, then maybe a turblent flow shape at the tip? I'll have to look at the expected leeway angles on the polar charts.
Chris Ross
dmarkc View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmarkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2007 at 6:28pm
Apologies for butting in on your topic.  I am about to become a Laser 28 owner and would love to be able to access the Members Area.  Please can you tell me if this is possible?  Or perhaps lend me a user name and password!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic