Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holding Tank Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holding Tank Repair
    Posted: 27 November 2006 at 10:29am
I've found that a vibrating engine cable has penetrated the holding tank. Do you know if a fiberglass repair will hold? john
the freak flag is flying
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2006 at 9:18pm

Hello John,

My tank developed a crack near one of the nozzles (connections).  Don't waste your time trying to repairing it, just order a new tank.  They are not that expensive.  Here is where I ordered mine: http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=58.  I was a little concerned these people might be pushing low quality tanks since the price was a little over $100 as best I remember.  I ordered one of their standard sizes (which is why it is so inexpensive) which turned out to be an inch or so shorter in height and a little longer in length than the original tank.  When you order you tell them where you want the nozzles.  I put my nozzles where they were in the original tank.  Make sure you tell them it is for waste so they give you plenty of wall thickness.  They did a first class job on my tank.  The nozzles were PVC and were nothing to write home about, so I used the old ones off the original tank where I could.  I can't find my old paperwork to tell you what size I ordered, sorry.  They may still have my name in their system and you may be able to see what I ordered if you ask them.  You will probably have to disconnect some of the engine control cables to get the old tank out.  It is easiest to disconnect at the engine.

One last item.  I also replaced all of my head hoses with high quality rubber hose.  What a difference it made.  It smells great below and was well worth the investment (about $7.00 a foot).  Hope this helps.    

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic