Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

signet depthsounder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: signet depthsounder
    Posted: 30 October 2006 at 4:51pm

i'm new to the boat and the depthsounder has not been working for me since the beginning. It just flashes the 188 after poweron every time.

The bottom has been scraped and scrubbed (not yet tried sanding). Is there anyway to isolate the problem?

john

the freak flag is flying
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 11:13am

Hello John,

Don't freak out, just call the manufacture.  Here is their web site: http://www.signetmarine.com/products/Signet_Marine_Products.html

They should be able to tell you if it is the sensor or the box, assuming the 188 is a code generated during the initiation phase of unit startup. 

I sent mine in two years ago (just after I bought my boat) and it was a little pricey to get it looked at and fixed.  The next time mine goes out I think I am going to bite the bullet and replace it.  There is a discussion of replacement systems elsewhere on this web site.

With regards to replacement, I am giving very serious thought to going with a chart GPS system which I would put in the cabin using an external GPS antenna.  I would take GPS boat speed to the cockpit using a repeater display.  Most GPS units provide a boat speed output signal.   It would be nice to have reliable boat speed at all heel angles and not have to deal with the thru the hull sensor (which is really 70's & 80's technology).  I tried to get Gamin interested in making a unit that would give GPS boat speed and depth in a self contained unit that would mount in the same opening as the Signet, but my guess is the market is not big enough to support the development even with what must be thousands of units still on the water.  

Bill

fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2006 at 2:02pm
Thanks Bill, I spoke to Frank and he was really helpful. After I double check connections, etc., he said I can send the display unit in for a free check to see if its working properly. The see what to do from there. john
the freak flag is flying
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2006 at 8:50am

The outcome is a bad instrument that is not repairable. They recommend that I replace the instrument and the transducer (to avoid a future transducer failre) and offered a new depth package (transducer + instrument) for 20% off. The advantage of staying with Signet, other than the discount, is transducer is an exact fit.

john

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic