Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lightning Protection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightning Protection
    Posted: 01 October 2006 at 10:01am

Hi Guys,

Has anyone taken steps to lightning proof their boat (ground the rigging)? I must have taken a hit or a near hit the other day at the dock sometime during the week as there was a strong static charge in the mast. One of my crew touched it twice and got a discharge each time of a level similar to walking across a carpet. In addition, the fuse was blown to my instruments. I replaced the fuse and blew again. I replaced it a second time and the instruments came on, but they were displaying a speed about half of what it should be. I haven’t had a chance to try to recalibrate it yet. It could be fried. I can’t believe that both events are coincidental.

We get a lot of wind here and I do not think it was a wind generated charge from the rigging. The fuse in the instruments should not have been affected if it were. I know there are many of points of view on the subject of grounding. Some say if you provide a good ground you have a higher probability of being hit. I am thinking of buying a new upper end VHF radio and would like to minimize the potential for lightning related problems. I would also like to do something with the VHF coax to my masthead antenna to get some surge protection. Any suggestions?

Bill Brock

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic